Mutiple Listings

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
N8QBY

Mutiple Listings

Post by N8QBY »

I have noticed lately that there have been quite a few ads with multiple listings. I am talking about the exact same ad listed 2, 3, or 4 times in a row. I am not sure how they do this, but it has to be intentional. This is only my opinion, but this multiple listing practice, is kind of like taking advantage of Scott's site. I have seen as many as four exact listings in a row recently. With ads separated into ten listings per page, it is like someone wants to have a half a page to themselves for more advertising. This is limited to only a few hams I think, but just something I have noticed recently, and I would hope is not a common problem.
These are just my thoughts, and I wonder if this has been a problem in the past? This is not earth-shaking news or anything like that, but just an observation.

73 Pat N8QBY
K4ICL

Duplicate ads...

Post by K4ICL »

Actually, most duplicate ads are not intentional. If you are using a slow dialup connection or your ISP has problems, you might not know if the ad "took" each time because of delays in seeing any results. If you send an ad and your computer just sits there for a long period, what is the natural thing to do? Yep, try again. A dup. Then what if you try again and still your computer still just sits there. You guessed it, another dup.

So give the guys a break. It is not a perfect world and, besides, we aren't going get out of this alive anyway.

K4CIL
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

I will agree that not all multiple posts are intentional, but I think that there are those that are. I, as recently as last year, had a dial-up connection, and I never had any delays, to where I would keep hitting the submit button. I realize that everyone's situation is different though. It isn't a big deal, but I have noticed it happening more often lately. If it doesn't bother Scott, then it is obviously not a problem, and I won't lose any sleep over it. :o) Pat N8QBY
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

Well, to back up my theory, I recently saw an ad for a tower for sale. It was posted 3 times in a row. Slow internet service? I don't think so because the very next day, the exact same ad, and yes, 3 times in a row. Coincidence, I don't think so in this case. Possible, but I doubt it. :o)
VA3EE/ VE3GNX

Post by VA3EE/ VE3GNX »

Hey guys:
I remember when I first started trading and selling things here on QTH, that when I listed something that could go in a couple of catagories I would relist the item a couple of times in different boxes. So I guess I can understand multipule listings in this manner.
Cheers Don VE3GNX
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

Don, thanks, for you input. I am not talking about placing an ad under different categories. I clicked on the, "ads placed today". There were multiple, identical listings,(4 one day, and 3 the next), one right after the other. This was two days in a row, so I don't think that it was just someone with a slow server. It was just an observation anyway.
Thanks, Pat N8QBY
w7ry

Post by w7ry »

All you have to do is use the browsers back button after you successfully posted your ad. Then simply change the category and resubmit. The hit the back button again. Then change the category again and resubmit. Very easy. That way you can list in several categories and have the exact same text in all of them. This is why you see “duplicate ads” posted in different categories when you use the "browse all ads" function.
w7ry

Post by w7ry »

N8QBY wrote:Don, thanks, for you input. I am not talking about placing an ad under different categories. I clicked on the, "ads placed today". Thanks, Pat N8QBY
This is why you see this:

All you have to do is use the browsers back button after you successfully posted your ad. Then simply change the category and resubmit. The hit the back button again. Then change the category again and resubmit. Very easy. That way you can list in several categories and have the exact same text in all of them. This is why you see “duplicate ads” posted in different categories.
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

I got your meaning now. I can see where that might show up multiple times in a row. Tnx, Pat N8QBY