USPS Tracking & Delivery Confirmation,...some are confus

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
K4BOF

USPS Tracking & Delivery Confirmation,...some are confus

Post by K4BOF »

FYI....

The only way to 'track' a package with USPS is with Priority Global, International, Expedited, and Global Express mail service. These services are pretty much 'next day' services that you have to pay BIG $$$ for.

People are confused,... some believe that the Delivery Confirmation number issued by USPS (a lite green and white sticker with bar code and number) 'is' a 'tracking number',... this is incorrect. Delivery Confirmation is just that,... it confirms that the package was delivered to the door step. BTW, sometimes these numbers do not even register within the USPS website (this has happened to me!).

When using USPS your best bet is to ship Certified, Insured, or with Proof of Delivery/Certificate of Mailing.

Have had good fortune using DHL and FedEx,... fast, insured, and 'trackable'.

My 2 cents,... 73 Bruce K4BOF
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Bruce, I agree with you up to a point.

The USPS "DELIVERY CONFIRMATION" only provides date and time of delivery or attempted delivery. It's completed by the carrier and, if the carrier completely blows the delivery and the package goes to the wrong address, everybody is S.O.L.

The USPS "SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION", a red and white label, provides the signature of the recipient of the package. The signature is available, upon request, by fax or email.

If you use a USPS "Confirmation", that's your "Proof of Mailing".

One problem with either of the "CONFIRMATIONS" is that the package MUST BE at least 3/4" thick at its thickest point and MUST BE large enough for delivery and return addresses; any special service labels; postage; and endorsements.

Yes, FedEx and DHL do offer tracking but, IMHO, their delivery "to the door" delivery service S***S! I''ve caught both of them lobbing packages marked "FRAGILE" over the front gate, towards the front door. YEAH!

And, more than once, DHL has FORGED my signature to their delivery receipt!

At least I haven't caught any of our mail carriers pulling any crap like FedEx or DHL!

JERRY

N9LCD
N1QOQ

Post by N1QOQ »

I always use USPS to ship out. I always use delivery confirmation. On most of the shipments the confirmation number does track the shipment, at least to what town the package is in. Maybe this is a fluke. I do admit United Package Smashers does have a better tracking system. At least you'll know when your broken parts will arrive. :lol:

Paul
N1QOQ
n5wrx

Post by n5wrx »

[quote="N1QOQ"]I always use USPS to ship out. I always use delivery confirmation. On most of the shipments the confirmation number does track the shipment, at least to what town the package is in. Maybe this is a fluke. I do admit United Package Smashers does have a better tracking system. At least you'll know when your broken parts will arrive. :lol:
/quote]

It is amazing how one ot two people can make it sound like EVERYONE is having problems.
I have had problems with ALL of the delivery methods.
Back in 1988 UPS actually lost a radio of mine. (wow 30 years ago)
I got more money in the insurance payoff that what I had sold it for.
Boy was I mad about that!

Thousands and thousands of packages are delivered daily without problems and on time. But here are the three or four whiners griping about ... what?
Precise tracking ?? What a hoot!

Fellas ... In case you need it spelled out for you ... Insure the package for twice its value and pray that it gets lost.
N1QOQ

Post by N1QOQ »

Sorry I didn't think I was whining just stating a preference. :roll:

Paul
N1QOQ
K4BOF

Post by K4BOF »

William-

I can assure you that I personally am not a 'whiner' here either,... if you are calling me out,... then do it. I think you missed the 'spirit' of the post,... and it was intended as an education for others,...note the 'FYI' at the beginning.

My initial post pertained to a lot of Buyers posting in the Feedback Forum about a Delivery Confirmation number being mistaken as a 'tracking number' coming from USPS.

Peruse some of the most recent posts on the Forum, as it is discussed in some of the threads, where Buyers are being 'potentially scammed' because of tracking numbers issued by USPS, and the false use thereof. The definition is clear in the initial post,... Bruce K4BOF