K2WE Steve Watch out for him not honest

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
ka2vbt

Post by ka2vbt »

At the end of October I bought a Corsair,VFO and power supply from Steve.
He advertised it on QTH as excellent and fully operational condition. I went to his Dobbs Ferry residence and picked up the unit and tried it out for 5 or 10 min. Steve presented himself as a FB Ham. When I got home I found the VFO would jump frenquency after a period of time say anywher from 10 min. to one hour. I called Steve and after a few dicussions with him, he suggested sending it to Ten Tec and would split the cost with me as the radio belonged to a friend of his and he was not aware of the problem. I sent the unit to Ten Tec and they replaced several items and a new PTO in the VFO. When I got it back I e-mailed, called and have sent letters to his two addresses with no responce to date. :(
Watch out for what you buy from him as he is not a man of his word and will not respond to you if you have a problem and he has to pay for it.
n5wrx

Re: K2WE Steve Watch out for him not honest

Post by n5wrx »

You went to his house, checked the radio out, struck a deal, left with it, and now you are here complaining about the seller? WOW!

I think I would rule in favor of the seller in this case.
ka2vbt

Post by ka2vbt »

N5WRX My point was that Steve stated it was fully operational. Also Steve said he would back up the radio when we talked at his house. When I called him he said no problem and if I wanted to fix it he would split the cost and suggested to send it to Ten Tec. So your point is well taken but when someone says they will back up the radio and agrees to splith the repair bill I expect them to honor their word.
w0zs

More details?

Post by w0zs »

Can you provide more details?
How much did you purchase the radio for?
How much were the repair costs? Did his half the cost exceed what you paid for it?
Just curious.....
W0ZS (formerly WK0F)
ka2vbt

Post by ka2vbt »

WK0F I paid his asking price of $750.00 and the repairs were $292.67
Had Steve not said he would back the radio and split the repairs, I would not be looking for him to pay. $750.00 is top dollar and during our talk prior to purchase at his house he agreeded it was but that it was fully operational and in excellent condition. Steve also suggested sending it to Ten Tec as I was going to take it to Hal at Land Air communications, as he was paying half I sent it to Ten Tec so there would be no questions about the repair.
w0zs

Post by w0zs »

Given the cost of the rig, and his initial willingness to pay half, I don't think $150 is out of line. I hope his conscience does the right thing. Good luck resolving this issue.
Terry, W0ZS
n5wrx

Re: K2WE Steve Watch out for him not honest

Post by n5wrx »

Perhaps, he has changed his mind.
He does have that right you know.
To come on here and call him dishonest is just not right.

When you walked out of his house after checking the radio out it was a done deal and the radio with ALL its problems belonged to you.
You had no claim to call him back complaining about a problem you failed to detect while checking it out before you bought it.
I commend the guy for even talking to you about it.

There has to be a line drawn somewhere as the guy cant be expected to be responsible for that radio for the rest of his life.

Had it been sent by mail or UPS I could understand your complaint but you checked it out before you bought it. Now here you are calling the man dishonest.
I think you need to learn a thing or two about life my friend.

Take it to court ... they would laugh at you.

ka2vbt wrote:N5WRX My point was that Steve stated it was fully operational. Also Steve said he would back up the radio when we talked at his house. When I called him he said no problem and if I wanted to fix it he would split the cost and suggested to send it to Ten Tec. So your point is well taken but when someone says they will back up the radio and agrees to splith the repair bill I expect them to honor their word.
ka2vbt

Post by ka2vbt »

N5WRX Perhaps the next time you buy an item and the salesmen states he will stand behind it and split any repair costs which is the case with many used items, and changes his mind once you pay to have it repaired where he sent you to go, guess that would not bother you. I don't belive that for one second.
Also who are you to say I had no claim, you are one of those who thinks they are the judge and jury,
I only stayed a short time as Steve said he had to leave and would back up the radio if there was a problem, what part don't you understand???
What would you call someone that said that, and to send it for repair and they would pay half ???
You my friend need to read and understand what was said and agreed upon.
Do you Know Steve ????
K4ICL

Huh?

Post by K4ICL »

Perhaps, he has changed his mind.
He does have that right you know.
To come on here and call him dishonest is just not right.
Isn't the price for exercising such a "right" that of being known as one who does not keep his word? Isn't there an inverse relationship between not keeping your word and being an honest person? Can you have it both ways?

K4ICL
hamradman

Post by hamradman »

Looks like N5WRX is another one I'll never make a deal with. He thinks its OK to go back on your word. He must sell used cars!
WN9VMR

Post by WN9VMR »

The days of your word meaning anything has gone to the wayside in most cases.The days of a hand shake meaning anything has too....It seems that the world has become a place for what i call the me-me attitude.The only one that counts is me so the hell with you.I have sold a few pieces of equipment that when received the person buying it said there was something not to their liking so of course i had them send it to the appropriate company for repair and paid for it no questions asked.I hope that if it ever happens to me when i buy something the seller would do the same.Lets not forget the old addage what goes around comes around...Kevin
member or the ham community for 30 plus years....
cw is not dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!