Galaxy Radio F/S oh boy..

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
N8QBY

Galaxy Radio F/S oh boy..

Post by N8QBY »

Galaxy 10/11 meter radio up for sale now. No good can come from this. Should be on E-bay. Just my opinion...
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

No good can come from a licensed amateur using 10 meter frequencies authorized to his/her license class? I sure wouldn't want you as my judge or juror, Mister "Guilty Until Proven Innocent".

It's more likely to be bought by a ham here than eBay, I bet.
This person is no longer a member of chat.qth.com
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

To N6ATF:
If you read my post, I was commenting on a Galaxy 88 radio that was for sale on QTH. Everyone knows that these are not intended for 10M, and are easily converted to the 11 meter band. A legit ham radio does not come with echo's, roger beeps, etc. Somehow you seem to be offended by this, and are reading way to much into the intent. My intent is that these radios don't need to be here on QTH, as this site is 10 times better at policing the radio's sold, as compared to E-bay. Take a breath and chill, unless you are the one selling this toy radio.

Pat N8QBY
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Man, every time someone says "Just my opinion...", it seems they're always ready for a battle to the death that their opinion is the only opinion that should exist.
If you read my post, I was commenting on a Galaxy 88 radio that was for sale on QTH.
Let's see...
Galaxy 10/11 meter radio up for sale now. No good can come from this. Should be on E-bay. Just my opinion...
Nope, you didn't say you were commenting on a Galaxy 88 radio specifically.
A legit ham radio does not come with echo's, roger beeps, etc.
Should we all bow down to you as arbiter of what constitutes a "legit ham radio" then? I will not assume this radio has echo, roger beep, or "etc." as the only possible settings, or even as part of the radio - a quick Google shows echo and roger beep are often functions of microphones, and not radios.

Part of the spirit of ham radio is an interest in experimentation and modification after the point of sale. If I had the money, I would buy this radio just to prove that it can function as a "legit ham radio" in your mind - without these settings.
Somehow you seem to be offended by this, and are reading way to much into the intent.
If you think your "opinion" offends me, then you must feel your "opinion" is more than an opinion. It takes a lot to offend me - words are not included. I do however like exposing people's "opinions" as nothing more than dogma that they feel they must beat everyone over the head with.

This person is no longer a member of chat.qth.com
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

Another one exposed. I hope that you do buy that radio, as it would take it off of this ham radio site. It may have already been taken off of this site. CB's have their place but not the ones that are made disguised as 10m radios but are easily converted to the cb band. Most people know what I am talking about.
Enjoy your new toy radio, and do your homework.

Pat N8QBY
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

Galaxy 88 HL
Peaked and tuned and converted *Note*
Price:330.00 Features
frequency counter(with on/off switch)
Small meter with scales for signal strength and power output
Red/green Led
roger beep(with on/off switch) *Note*
Noise blanker/Automatic noise limiter
+10khz Switch
Pa Features
Echo board with two controls *Note*
Talk back on during echo
2 output power levels
10 watts output power-Am
25 Watts max on Ssb
1.5Khz Clarifier on recieve only
5.0Khz Clarifier on transmit
2 year limited parts and labor warranty

See the note's....This radio is obviously not a ham radio.

Pat N8QBY[/b]
va3jwp

Illegal 10m Radios

Post by va3jwp »

Hi Pat, I see that your opinion of these types of radios has irked a fellow amateur. I understand what N6ATF is saying, if the radio can operate on 10m, than he'll use it there. But honestly, I can't recall working a good 10m band opening, and actually have an amateur tell me that they are on a Galaxy, or a 2950 or any of the other modifiable radios......with the 2510 being the odd exception. These radios are manufactured for CB operation, and that's why they are illegal, period. Another good example is the new Cobra200GTL, it covers 10m/11m out of the box, and it's 150 watts. And of course it has all of the features that an amateur just can't do without like, night watch, roger beep, echo, and god knows what else. I'd like to hear an amateur work some 10m DX one day, with the echo cranked all the way up, and the roger beep driving everybody nuts. I can guarantee he'll be told very quickly to turn off the toys.....or get off the band. Now, if he operates it without the beeps and echoes,and keeps it within the bounds of the 10m band, than I see no harm. That's my two cents worth from here on the Canadian side. 73 Pat, and keep stirring the pot!!.

James (VA3JWP)
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

James, nice to hear from you. My post was not meant to stir the pot. The other responding party took what I had to say personal. I was not commenting on the seller of the radio but the radio itself. You know as well as I that those supposed 10/11 meter radios are not ham radios. Nothing more was intended other than the fact that this is a ham radio site, and those wanna-be ham radios belong on E-bay, where they seem to breed. E-bay doesn't care what is sold on their site. QTH.com on the other hand does a much better job of policing the ads.
Yes, Mike bought one of those Cobra radios. I am not sure why but he sometimes favors the cb band. I give him the berrie's about it all the time. To funny.
I would be interested in others opinions about these radios.

Later...

Pat N8QBY
K4ICL

Listen to the Bard...

Post by K4ICL »

You know as well as I that those supposed 10/11 meter radios are not ham radios.
Like the Bard sez: "Much to do about nothing..." It does not matter what any radio is "supposed" to be. Once it is owned by a licensed ham it becomes legal to use in the ham's station so long as that ham obeys the FCC power, frequency, mode, and emission standards for his class of license. ONLY Licensed amateur radio operator's have this privilege.

This means a licensed ham can own, barter, or buy ANY radio for his use on the ham bands. It perfectly legal to take a CB transceiver and converted to use on the 10 meter band. It is done all the time. It doesn't matter if the radio is illegal for use on the CB service band or not, so long as the ham doesn't use it on the CB band.

You are urged to take the time to read the FCC rules regarding certification of equipment that is applicable to the American ham bands.

Nuff said...

K4ICL
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

K4ICL: As far as the FCC rules and regulations, I know them quite well. I never once said that it was illegal to own one of these radios or for that matter use them. I just mainly stated that these radios are not produced for the purpose's of being operated on the ham bands. They are produced to be easily modified for the cb band, and then are usually used somewhere between the cb band the 10 meter band, and I suppose the odd time on 10 meters. On any given day when the band is open, anyone can hear truckdrivers using the bottom end of 10 meters with echo's/beebs ablazing. Can a legally licensed operator use this type of radio?? Sure but I bet you that most wouldn't admit to what they were using for a radio.
What it basically comes down to is that this is my opinion, just as you have your opinion. Why is it that you very seldom see this type of radio for sale on QTH.com? I am thinking that it is because Scott doesn't want to get into the selling of these types of cb radios. If I am wrong about that, I will take that statement back.
Thankyou for your post.

nuff said & 73

Pat N8QBY
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

This was Scott's response in reference to a Cobra 200GTL-DX that was showing up as advertising on a banner:

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:38 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Um, it is illegal for a dealer to sell these radios. It is not just about operating.

Can a private party sell one, to another ham? Maybe. But not on my board. If it's illegal for a dealer to sell to a consumer, it shouldn't be legal to sell it period.

If it is illegal today to sell it commercially, it probably was illegal to buy it in the first place. I just don't want these rigs on QTH.com. There are other sites that will allow it, so it's not like they can't sell 'em".

- Scott KA9FOX

Scott, I hope you don't mind me pasting your comments from another forum. I just knew that I had read somewhere on this site, your views on these types of radios on your site pertaining to advertising them.

Scott, if I thought I could devote enough time to help monitor your site, I would do so but at this time, outside commitments stop me from offering to do so.

73 Pat N8QBY
K4ICL

Why?

Post by K4ICL »

Why is it that you very seldom see this type of radio for sale on QTH.com? I am thinking that it is because Terry doesn't want to get into the selling of these types of cb radios. If I am wrong about that, I will take that statement back.
Here is why you seldom see such ads.

QTH.com Classified completely supports the FCC initiative to keep non-certified transmitting equipment out of the public market. This support translates to a rule seen, on the ad posting pages.
In cooperation with the FCC, illegal radios and amplifiers will be deleted from the system. This includes all uncertified HF amplifiers manufactured for use on CB frequencies -- even if they are disguised as ham radio amplifiers. Please see http://swap.qth.com/fcc for important information regarding radios and amplifiers that are not legal for sale in the USA.
K4ICL
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

And like I originally stated, those types of radios don't belong on QTH.com. Gone full circle.
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

In my above post, I stated the name, "Terry". I meant Scott. Not sure how I got the name Terry, anyway, my bad.
va3jwp

Illegal Radios

Post by va3jwp »

Hello all, to K4ICL, Scott, for the record, I totally support your decision to follow the rules and regulations of the FCC. Allowing illegal radios to be sold here, opens the door to a ton of other illegal equipment to be sold here. Stuff like 10/11m amps, voice altering mixing boards and all the other crap out there. These things do nothing more than clog the band, and drive most of us nuts. And to N8QBY, Pat, your absolutley right, it looks as if we have come full circle.

Happy new year to all!
James (VA3JWP)
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

James, Happy New Year to you also. Tip one for me, as I have to work tonight.

Seasons Greetings to all.

Pat N8QBY
wa8mea

Post by wa8mea »

-
Last edited by wa8mea on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
n5wrx

Re: Here comes one....

Post by n5wrx »

It is true fellas, a mono band reciever is much more sensitive than a multi band radio.
Compare the cheapest "CB" radio along side your new FT-2000 or IC-7800 on an A/B switch and you will see the el cheapo "toy" radio has a better reciever on 10 or 11 meters.
No brag here ... that is just the way it is.

The big problem is that the "CB" type radios are channelized and getting to a frequency like 28.483 is a real pain in the rear.
A VFO is much better for the way most Hams operate on the radio.

Rodger beeps??
Why not?
How else can you tell when the good old boy with the slow talking southern drawl on 80m SSB is done transmitting or just catching his breath.
Sure beats depending on him to say "over". (anyone do that anymore?)
Many commercial (professional) radios use some sort of a tone to indicate the transmitter has un-keyd and some use a tome burst to ID.

However, CB's are not toys and are real radios.
They are as real as any home brew QRP tuna tin radio or old boat anchor.
The equipment dont make the operator it is the other way around.

Is ham radio the same service it was 20 years ago?
I think not.
No longer does our military need a reserve of trained radio operators skilled at CW. Now it is more of a Hobby for personal enjoyment. (think FUN)
True, there is still a need for emergency services and public event communications but for most hams it is used just for the fun of it.

wa8mea wrote: The receive sensitivity is SO MUCH better than ANY ham receiver I've owned. And I assume that's mainly because the radio is built specifically for use in the 26 to 29 MHz section of the HF spectrum.
n5wrx

Post by n5wrx »

BTW: I do support the fact that there are rules here on QTH and those rules should be enforced.
QTH is a wonderful asset to all us hams and is fully entitled to set the guidelines as to what is allowed.
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

To funny!!