having problems with a mic audio

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
kc2jzk

having problems with a mic audio

Post by kc2jzk »

please can some help me im useing a heil gm4 mic on a yeasu 897 all mode radio .the problem is its all disstorted no one can under stand what im saying .i called yeasu they said turn the mike down still dont work right .i have been through the radio turned this down and done everything i know how so if theres anyone out there to help i would like it
w5otp

mike problem

Post by w5otp »

Sounds like a classic case of rf getting into the microphone input. Can you borrow a mike that works on a similar transceiver that works (undistorted) to see how it works on your unit? Grounding and bypassing is the usual cure). This is a case of divide and conquer. Eliminate the transceiver or the mike as the problem. If this is unsuccessful then be sure you are running a very low VSWR--keeping the RF where it belongs instead of running around the shack.
Hope this helps.Ralph.
N1QOQ

Post by N1QOQ »

You did not say if it was in ssb, am or fm mode. Check the compressor settings.
I'm not sure if your mike has any switches on it , my classic does, try changing them. Is that mike set up to use on that rig? Some are made for specific radios. Is the radio transmitting on the same freq that you are listening?(split tune or off freq). A little more info would help to steer you in the right direction.
What power setting, frequency,mode etc.
Paul
N1QOQ