LOST RECIVE

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
ERNIE1553

LOST RECIVE

Post by ERNIE1553 »

KENWOOD TS-950SD , SOUND GOES AWAY AND METER GOES ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT OR PEGS . ANY REMEDYS?
KB3LMV

ts-950sd audio loss

Post by KB3LMV »

Hi Ernie
Have you tried adjusting RF Gain control.Full CCW reduces audio output & increases meter reading & vice versa.Intermitent or no change could be caused by dirty or defective control pot.Good place to start.
73 and happy hunting
Paul KB3LMV
Paul KB3LMV
ERNIE1553

Post by ERNIE1553 »

I'VE TRIED THE CLEANER ON THE RF/ VOLUME KNOB POT AND NO RESULTS. IF I LEAVE THE RADIO ON FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME THE SOUND SOMETIMES COMES BACK. NOT ALWAYS, SO THAT MAKES ME THINK IT MIGHT BE SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE THE VOL/AF GAIN POT. ANY OTHER IDEAS ARE VERY MUCH WELCOME !!!!!!!!!
k9yli

Post by k9yli »

the fact that the S meter goes all the way to the right seems to indicate possibily the RF gain pot is open,/wiper not contacting,, possibly it has worn a spot in the fixed resistance, so anytime the pot is beyond the open, you get the failure.
Also the control may have been hit on the front and you have a cold solder joint
where the control is soldered,or on any wires soldered to it. I have no idea if the control is a PC mount or wired.

But this question is something like "" my car wont run, whats wroing with it??""
everything could be!!!!
so....
Do you have the schematic, do you have a didital VOM.
Do you have an analog vom..
Since it seems to be intermittant you may have to connect a meter at some point and check the reading when working and not working... (baby sitter)

also try canned air,, turned upside down to chill areas, to see if you can duplicate the problem.
take the covers off,, does it work better withthe covers off. ???
cooler!!!!!

take a screw driver and tighten all the screws that mount the printed circuit
boards. .. bad grounding.....

take notes and maybe report back what you have found out.