Modular microphone plugs...UGH!!

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
wb3cez

Modular microphone plugs...UGH!!

Post by wb3cez »

What is with these modular mic plugs that are so common on mobil rigs these days? They don't seem to be very hardy for mobil use and break very easily. Also, what do you do when you want to use a non standard mic? Are there some kind of converter/adaptors that would allow me to use a standard mic plug? I have been looking for a good 2 meter mobil but do not want that stupid modular arrangement to deal with. Any ideas....?[/b]
K4ICL

Modular plugs on microphones...

Post by K4ICL »

Modular plugs are cheap and take up less real estate on the chassis. Also, the 8 wire variety provides all needed signal lines for semi-remote operation from just the mic.

The way around the inconvenience of having a modular is to purchase a modular installation tool (Harbor Freight, etc.) and make up the adapters of choice. Modular plugs are easy to install (Much faster and easier than soldering conventional mic plugs!) if the correct cables stock is used.

Oh yes. They aren't going to go away.

AL

K4ICL
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

I've never had a problem with one. Not saying they are better, because I don't believe they are, but with proper care and feeding they do fine.

They have been working on telephones for 60 years or so.....and look how many times you bungie jumped with your phone cord in your hand when you were a kid.

There are still some mobile rigs that use the standard mic plug. My Kenwood TM-241 uses one and I think Alinco still uses them on their Mobile rigs.
Steve - KA9MOT