what education do I seek to become radio tech?

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
w5mks

what education do I seek to become radio tech?

Post by w5mks »

I am looking for help determining what and where to get the eduaction need to be a radio tech. I know of the 2 part fcc elemente 1 and 3 but is there a college course or degreee or field of study I should seek? I have info for home study guide for fcc wireless tech but I dont think that is what I am looking for> Any help would be super thanks :?
joe
k9yli

Post by k9yli »

my vote would be take a course from
CIE ... cleveland instutute of electronics.

I did 50 some years ago. good school. well written seft teaching books.

I took "master course in radio communictions""
it was 120 lessons at that time. I passed 2nd phone the first try in Chicago FCC office.

I spent abut 3 years on the course.
1.5 to 2 hours every night for about 4 dfays on each lesson of about 17 pages.... I LEARNED the stuff..
I was driven, as i spent 6 nights and saturdays studying...

:
k9yli

Post by k9yli »

go to eham.net and then "ask the experts.

entry on NEET.. about an online douwloadable military course.
W4AIN

best training for radio tech

Post by W4AIN »

Cleveland Institute of Electronics (CIE)
http://www.cie-wc.edu/home.asp
Last edited by W4AIN on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil - W4AIN
On The Air Communications
www.w4ain.com
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Read a lot of tech manuals and data books.

Try reverse engineering circuits to see how it was designed.

Ask a lot of questions and make sure who's giving you answers.

Experiment. Don't be afraid to host a "Smoke Party" or two.

Sit with an operator / experimenter. Watch, listen and ask questions.

Degrees DO NOT equate with practical knowledge. I "smoked" a spectrum analyzer following advice from a degreed electronics engineer; he didn't know the difference between a regular fuse and a "slo blo" fuse with the same current rating.

N9LCD
w5rkl

Re: what education do I seek to become radio tech?

Post by w5rkl »

w5mks wrote:I am looking for help determining what and where to get the eduaction need to be a radio tech. I know of the 2 part fcc elemente 1 and 3 but is there a college course or degreee or field of study I should seek? I have info for home study guide for fcc wireless tech but I dont think that is what I am looking for> Any help would be super thanks :?
Simply studying for, taking and passing, an Amateur Radio license exam does not and will not make you a repair technician nor does the Amateur Radio license you receive from the FCC by passing the examination convey any experience troubleshooting electronic equipment. I can't count the number of forum posts by hams that I have read that stated the person has no electronic back ground yet they believe they can troubleshooting and repair their sophisticated transceiver because they have a ham ticket. These are accidents waiting to happen.

You should start at the beginning, learn basic electronics "FIRST"! Basic electronics is the foundation for more advance electronics subjects. The ARRL handbook, older versions are best, can teach you basic electronics. Another book which is out of print but can be found at public libraries and/or on the Internet, titled, "Basic Radio Course" by "John T. Frye" is an excellent learning tool for basic electronics. Do not jump into advance electronics until you have a solid knowledge foundation in basic electronics otherwise the advance area will make no sense to you! Understand that you will NOT learn it all over night, within a week, or even months. It takes time, studying, and hands on over time to learn. I have been doing it for over 40 years and I still learn things so don't stop studying. There are some myths that you will be told that are simply wrong. Learning the basics will help you "weed out" some of those myths that you will come across. If something doesn't make sense to you, ask an experience person to explain it to you.

I agree, I have also run across a few electronic college educated people who can't calculate the current through that flows through a 10K resistor with 12VDC applied across the resistor, if their life depended on it ( I = E / R or 12 / 10000 = .001).

73s
Mike
W5RKL
K4ICL

What are your current skills?

Post by K4ICL »

Before any adviser could attempt to answer your question he would need to know what your current capabilities and experience might be.

To be more specific, what skill sets do you already possess?

Do you have any learning disabilities?

Do you have any physical handicaps?

What experience with electronics, mechanics, physics, and tests and measurements do you have?

How are your at typical engineering skills such as math, spacial visualization, logical discovery techniques, creativity?

These are examples of the kind of questions a vocational counselor would need to know before attempting to answer your question.

Good luck on your quest.

AL