Heat on Ebay?

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
wr0t

Heat on Ebay?

Post by wr0t »

I have been hearing some rumors that Ebay is coming under fire for extensive fraud in some of the sales.

Has anyone else heard this?

I am not on Ebay anymore, I got kicked off for filing a fraud complaint although they will not confirm. Same thing on PayPal, I was there now I am not....

No biggie, I just say the H--- with th :cry: :evil: em...
Proud to Fly the Flag Long Before Was Popular
KE3GK

Paypal and Ebay

Post by KE3GK »

I haven't heard anything - but if that is the case, I better yank my money out of Paypal before they requisition it for me.
kc6mmi

Re: Heat on Ebay?

Post by kc6mmi »

wr0t wrote:I have been hearing some rumors that Ebay is coming under fire for extensive fraud in some of the sales.

Has anyone else heard this?

I am not on Ebay anymore, I got kicked off for filing a fraud complaint although they will not confirm. Same thing on PayPal, I was there now I am not....

No biggie, I just say the H--- with th :cry: :evil: em...
I heard on yahoo that the AT Gen of MO was charging eBay / Paypal for $ laundering. having to do with paying on line gambling VIA paypal as I recall.
other than that, the only thing I have heard is the FCC is notifying sellers of Modified HAM gear that they should not sell it to NON Ham's.
Rich
KA9FOX
Site Admin

QTH.com Policy regarding Illegal Equipment.

Post by KA9FOX »

Riley Hollingsworth at the FCC has given me several documents relating to gear that should not be bought or sold in the USA, and I am using these documents to help in determining which items are not allowed for sale on the QTH.COM Classifieds at http://swap.qth.com.

Any ads that appear to have illegal gear in them will be deleted. If you ever see any ads that have illegal gear in them, please let me know right away.

You can find these documents at http://swap.qth.com/fcc

Free Ham Radio Classified Ads: https://swap.QTH.com
wr0t

Interesting..

Post by wr0t »

U.S. FTC Targets Internet Auction Fraud

WASHINGTON - U.S. law-enforcement officials announced a crackdown on Wednesday on Internet-auction fraud, which has grown along with traffic to eBay Inc. (Nasdaq:EBAY - news) and other auction sites.

The Federal Trade Commission said it had shut down two vendors who allegedly engaged in fraudulent behavior, while local law enforcers have taken action in 57 cases as well, ranging from warning letters to criminal prosecution.

Howard Beales, head of the FTC's consumer-protection division, said such inter-agency efforts were key to cutting down on the fast-growing problem.

"These types of cooperative law enforcement actions will help ensure that online auction fraud is going, going, gone from the scene," Beales said in a statement.

Online auction scams are the most common type of Internet-based fraud, according to FTC figures, accounting for 51,000 complaints in 2002.

Scam artists in recent years have found that online auctions provide an easy way to sell merchandise that doesn't exist, commonly offering big-ticket, relatively generic items like computers or automobiles.

eBay estimates that only one in 10,000 transactions on its site is fraudulent.

Many of the cases announced Wednesday were relatively straightforward -- consumers paid for an item that was never delivered to them, the FTC said.

But some alleged scam artists go to greater lengths to conceal their activities. One case involved a seller who since 1999 changed his account name constantly and even stole others' identities, including that of a dead man, to stay ahead of those he had allegedly ripped off. Another alleged con man set up a bogus escrow service to dupe buyers into sending their money and sellers to sending their merchandise without providing anything in return, the FTC said.

Consumers should find out all they can about the buyer before bidding on an online auction, the FTC said, and research escrow or online payment services before using them.

Sure glad I am not on any auctions anymore, too many rip off's out there
ag3y

Post by ag3y »

Too many ripoffs. . . . 1 in 10,000 ? ? ?

Man, I wish I had as few chances to get "ripped off" in my daily living routine. You go to get your car fixed, ripoff ; you buy fruit at the fruitstand , the peaches are hard as rocks, ripoff ; How about that "gee-whiz" transceiver that you purchased at the hamfest that blew up the minute you plugged it in ? RIPOFF ! I could go on and on, but I think you get my point.

I have dealt many many times on EBay, and have never been "ripped off". EBay goes a long way to protect its many users against fraud. Check out the feedback profile of the seller before placing a bid, Check out the feedback profile of the buyer before letting him/her purchase anything from you. You can do that, and ought to !

Well, that's my 2C worth. Enjoy on line auctions, they can be one of the safest places for you to spend your money!

73 from Jim AG3Y
wr0t

Auctions

Post by wr0t »

To each his own. As a collector I just will not buy the "pig in a poke" gear that is hawked on Ebay. The sellers have no clue as to what "collectors quality" means...

I advise a few trusted dealers of my want list and they always seem to come up with the items for me. Do they get some of them from Ebay? Who knows?

What I do know is, I have a 15 day inspection period and a full 90 Day warr. on everything I buy from them. Thay also know better than to send me a "gee whiz" rig as they will get it back the next business day, and I do not buy from them again.

Like I said to each his own, but not Ebay for me.