ts830s kenwood hf radio

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
Gene Cexton

ts830s kenwood hf radio

Post by Gene Cexton »

Good afternoon to all and have a great july 4th: My question is rather simple I have a kenwood TS830 S that looks like a 9 out of a 10. however it does not have a mic or manual with it. I would like to know if the mc35s noise cancelling mic which is a 4 pin also will work? #2 what is the approx value of this radio in the event i want tosell it . it does not have the original box either. It does power up and receive's. not having a mic i can not put any power to to check the finals. ANY constructive help would be appreciated . thanks for any help that can be shared 73 gene k0gkc
w5rkl

Re: ts830s kenwood hf radio

Post by w5rkl »

Gene Cexton wrote:Good afternoon to all and have a great july 4th: My question is rather simple I have a kenwood TS830 S that looks like a 9 out of a 10. however it does not have a mic or manual with it. I would like to know if the mc35s noise cancelling mic which is a 4 pin also will work? #2 what is the approx value of this radio in the event i want tosell it . it does not have the original box either. It does power up and receive's. not having a mic i can not put any power to to check the finals. ANY constructive help would be appreciated . thanks for any help that can be shared 73 gene k0gkc
Gene,

You do not need a microphone to test the transmitter. Follow the instructions in the operator's manual and tune it up into a dummy load.

You can download the operator's manual from Kenwood at

http://inform3.kenwoodusa.com/Manuals%5CTS-830.pdf

The MC-35 microphone is a low impedance, 300 ohms, microphone. The TS-830S has a microphone impedance range from 500 ohm to 50K ohms. I wouldn't recommend the MC-35 microphone.

Assigning a value to an 830 is not as simple as saying a 9 out of 10 TS-830S is worth "X" dollars. Looks can be deceiving.

I recommend you have someone who knows their way around a TS-830S, not just a person who knows how to operate one but someone with the technical knowledge of the 830's circuitry, that can determine, through a thorough inspection and testing, what, if anything, is wrong with the 830. There are too many 520, 530, 820, and 830 hybrid radios out there that look good but have major problems, or worse, have been modified to operate on 11 meters.

I'm not suggesting your 830 falls into this category. However, if you really want to know the condition of your 830 you will have to take steps to determine the condition. Don't rely simply on the visual appearance as there could be problems "under the hood"! It's up to you what steps you take, I can only provide you with recommendations.

73s
Mike
Gene Cexton

ts830s

Post by Gene Cexton »

Thanks for your input mike. I'll try to find someone here in cache valley with that kind of knowledge. I'am not to keen on shipping out for an evaluation to someone i don't know thanks again. 73 gene
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

No expert on the 830's but am familiar with there prices they bring. Usually a 830 such as your describing if working properly with strong tubes should bring any where from $300-400 and if you were to sell it as is untested, possibly as much as $300.00. But like Mike says you can test it with out a Mic. I believe the radio has a tune position also. I know hams that would never dream of getting rid of there 830's as like they all say, there easy to work on usually, and as rugged and reliable as any radio out there.
Larry Huff K0pd
w5rkl

Post by w5rkl »

K0pd wrote:No expert on the 830's but am familiar with there prices they bring. Usually a 830 such as your describing if working properly with strong tubes should bring any where from $300-400 and if you were to sell it as is untested, possibly as much as $300.00. But like Mike says you can test it with out a Mic. I believe the radio has a tune position also. I know hams that would never dream of getting rid of there 830's as like they all say, there easy to work on usually, and as rugged and reliable as any radio out there.
Yes, the TS-830S has a TUNE position. Setting the MODE switch to TUNE is the mode used to tune up the 830's transmitter. The operator's manual has step by step instructions on how to tune the transmitter.