Where have our manners gone?

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
n8cbc

Where have our manners gone?

Post by n8cbc »

I'm sure I'm not alone;
You respond to an ad with a question or an offer, and never get an answer back.
You sell something, advise the buyer when you shipped, and never get a courtesy email that it arrived.

Where have the manners gone among hams? Is common courtesy not an "in thing" anymore? It takes just a few moments to acknowledge to the other, what has taken place.
We are, by our own declaration, "communication experts". We offer our knowledge and expertise at communications, to communities and officals every day, someplace in the world, yet we treat each other poorly.

Yes, I know this doesn't apply to EVERY ham among our ranks, but it does apply to far more than it should. Sometimes I think it is territorial, as least my experience points to certain areas of the country more than others.

IMHO, I think we all need to look at our own backyard and do some cleaning up of our manners, none of us are exempt, but some worse than others.
In our fast paced world, as we run around trying to be everywhere in our lives and jobs, we need to stop and smell the roses so to speak, and treat each other with respect and courtesy.
W2TXB

Post by W2TXB »

Apparently for some, common courtesy is not very common anymore, but this extends beyond just ham radio. :(

Sure, we (as hams) often hold ourselves and each other to a somewhat higher standard for behavior, but maybe the higher standard does not exist for many folks like it used to. Fortunately, the hams who are devoid of courtesy are still in the obvious minority, but they still stand out among the larger group of courteous hams, simply because of their behavior.
wa8mea

Might I suggest....

Post by wa8mea »

Might I suggest that some of you have your e-mail filters set too high?

Certain e-mail services feel that ANY e-mail from a business or a selling transaction is automatically "spam" and is placed in the junk file and/or deleted.

I quit sending out acknowledgment and shipping courtesy e-mails because so many were being sent to junk files or coming back undeliverable. In fact, I had one e-mail that came back and required me to answer a bunch of questions before the e-mail was allowed through! (I think it this was an Earthlink thing....)

73, Bill