Ham Radio and QTH is no longer fun

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
n8cbc

Ham Radio and QTH is no longer fun

Post by n8cbc »

After having yet another deal go sour because of a dishonest ham, I am of the opinion we are better off just buying new stuff.
It used to be there was honor among amateurs, but today it seems that has gone by the wayside. Oh sure, there are some very honest hams to deal with, I don't mean to take anything away from those that are, but in today's market you must separate the good from the bad, even among amateurs.
So for me, much of the fun of the hobby has been getting new/used toys on occasion. I still believe in the old saying, "One man's Junk, is another man's treasure". But the problem is getting that treasure in your hands first, instead of bottomless promises.
So once again, its time to write letters to law enforcement, and bust a ham that chooses to not ship what he was paid for.
I can hear the words in the phone call, "Hello Universal Radio, do you have stock on a ????? model radio?" Of course you do, please ship me one.
K4ICL

Is there something missing here?

Post by K4ICL »

After having yet another deal go sour because of a dishonest ham,
Your postings on this site include only one issue with a transaction.

What others sour transactions have you had causing you to post this one?

K4ICL
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Any buyer of used gear MUST BE realistic!

If they're expecting a 10- or 20-year old piece of gear to perform as if it was new then they're better off buying it new!

Even testing doesn't really assure performance of gear. The accuracy of any test or calibration depends on: the accuracy of the test equipment; the skill of the operator performing the test; and if the test was performed under the exact same conditions that it was performed under at the factory.

N9LCD
K4ICL

Post by K4ICL »

Any buyer of used gear MUST BE realistic!

If they're expecting a 10- or 20-year old piece of gear to perform as if it was new then they're better off buying it new!

First of all, the age of the equipment has nothing to do with its condition.

More importantly, when an ad says the gear is in EXCELLENT condition, this means it has no cosmetic blemishes and it is performing to factory specifications. It does not mean "Hey, this is old stuff so it isn't in as good a condition I say it is."

Buyers should expect the equipment actually to be in the condition described in the seller's ad. If the seller lies about the condition, he is cheating the buyer.

I hope people don't shy away from ads now that someone has said prospective buyers should not expect older used equipment to work as it should and and suggested they should buy it new to be sure it will works when they receiver it..

'nuff said

K4ICL
n8cbc

Re: Is there something missing here?

Post by n8cbc »

Doc,
I do my best to not air dirty laundry in public forums. I will continue to attempt to resist the temptation to do so.

nuff said.

K4ICL wrote:
After having yet another deal go sour because of a dishonest ham,
Your postings on this site include only one issue with a transaction.

What others sour transactions have you had causing you to post this one?

K4ICL
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

K4ICL i agree with you as for example i bought a TS930 a few short months back and was told it more than likely is as good as new if not better being as the seller had done the recommended Kenwood updates plus the led change on the meter light. So i bought it and it was like the seller said it was including the few nicks and scrapes on the cabinet. So i indeed expected the radio to work like a new one and possibly better and not like a 20-30 yr old radio. If these things are not possible with older equipment then why bother to get them repaired. Will it last as long as a new one ? Well time will tell.
Larry Huff K0pd