Page 1 of 1


Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:18 pm
I found some auctions on eBay from a large retailer that is advertising MARS/CAP modified VHF radios as "IDEAL FOR POLICE, FIRE and EMS USE". My question, IS THIS LEGAL?? I thought MARS/CAP is for military and Civil Air Patrol. The sellers user ID is: sunpcscom and here is a URL to one of their auctions if you would like to see: ... 61266&rd=1


Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:13 pm
by W0LPQ
No. Amateur equipment may NOT be used for commercial services. Period. However, we as amateurs can modify commercial stuff for Amateur use..!

Amatuer stuff is normal for MARS, since their frequencies are normally just outside the hambands. CAP use is getting more and more difficult. NTIA is setting forth standards which our ham stuff cannot comply with. This is relating to frequency tolerances.


Bill, W0LPQ

Out of Band Info.

Posted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:30 am
by AB8RU
Let me say this as a legal thought, for around $200.00 you can buy a good used commercial 2 way and spend a few bucks more for the Software & Cable, this only applies to those who have a reason to be on a Certain frequency Such as SAR , Fire, Sherriff Possee, Emergency Management authourization, Medical, Red Cross.

primarly I noted the specs of Ham Amplifier freq. range it states on some 144 to 148 Mhz. wonder why it toasted :?:

Again I am not promoting unlicensed or unauthourized people on their frequency.

But Some agencies have recently asked their volunteers to comply in case of an FCC Inspection or Self Compliance Inspection by a Private Company by contract some engineer may decide to Burn you and turn you in.

as to suppliers I would not even bother to reply to any inquiries.