Ameritron AWM-30 wattmeter modification

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
wb3cez

Ameritron AWM-30 wattmeter modification

Post by wb3cez »

I have one of the earlier Ameritron AWM-30 watt/SWR meters. Although the accuracy is not perfect, it does fill my needs nicely and appears to be very well built. The only complaint I have is the VERY slow recovery of the wattmeter in the PEP mode. From the 500 watt position, the meter takes about 40 seconds or more to return to the "O" position after transmitting. Although a bit of hang-time is necessary, I find it much too long on this meter. I understand that Ameritron has addressed this issue in their later models. Does anyone know of a modification to speed up the decay time? I have been looking for a schematic of the meter but haven't been able to find one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. De wb3cez[/b]
k4zmi

Post by k4zmi »

You have what's known as a peak reading meter, showing actual max power. Some meters have a switch for standard quick return of the meter but you don't see the actual peak power.
wb3cez

Ameritron AMW-30 wattmeter

Post by wb3cez »

Actually this meter is swichable between RMS and PEP. What I,am saying is the hang-time of the needle is much too long in the PEP mode.