Ameritron ATR-15

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
N9NH

Ameritron ATR-15

Post by N9NH »

When using a dummy load or a tuned antenna, it appears that I am losing about 50watts of power in the ATR-15 tuner on 75 meters. ---(I have not checked for power loss on other bands) The amplifier and the antenna tuner are both tuned . The loss is evident when switching from antenna 1 position to antenna direct position and changing nothing else -- (output power increases in the direct position) . The daiwa cn-801 power meter is after the ameritron AL-811H amplifier. I have inspected the components inside the tuner and looked for loose connections, but I have found nothing. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this with an ATR-15, and how the problem, if any, was corrected, or if this is normal.
Mike -- N9NH
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

I assume you are using radio, amp, meter, tuner -- in that order. If so, I am going to guess that you are actually "losing" reflected power. Without the tuner, you are reading fwd + reflected and reflected only (with the x needle). Try slightly de-tuning the tuner and see if it goes up during that process. The increase should (...should) track the increase in reflected power. If so, it would seem perfectly normal. You can also try moving the meter between the tuner and antenna (once tuned) and see if there is any difference. There should be no difference there since the antenna/transmission line doesn't change -- only the impedence to the radio/amp.