Marine Radio Advise Please

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
HerbDB

Marine Radio Advise Please

Post by HerbDB »

I am looking ahead a couple of years to the need for an HF SSB radio in my boat to monitor WX and user networks dedicated to cruisers. My understanding is that these nets operate between 7 and 21 MHz.. I am interested in getting my Ham license to be able to operate on both Marine and Ham bands. I will need to ultimately learn how to interface a computer to send and receive E-mail and weather fax informatin. I am not ready for an HF installation in the boat yet, but would like to have a home HF setup to get acquainted with the operation of the equipment. What would you recommend in the way of equipment to allow me to accomplish this. Radio? Antenna? Other necessary accessories?

Thanks
Herb DuBois
herb@duboiscg.com
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

A radio for use on the Marine SSB frequencies must be type accepted for that application. There are a lot of sailors that use modified amateur radio transceivers but I cannot suggest that you do that since it would not be in compliance with the laws. HOWEVER, if you choose to do so, be sure that the radio meets the following criteria:
1. Can be modified for general coverage transmit
2. Is a 12VDC radio (will require a power supply for AC operation)
3. I would recommend an internal antenna tuner so that you can work satisfactorily from less than optimal antenna conditions while on board a boat

There are a lot of radios that meet those criteria. They will range in price from a few hundred $ to well over $2K. You will need to decide on your other requirements and decide from there.