Foot switch for keying an amp?

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
wb3cez

Foot switch for keying an amp?

Post by wb3cez »

I have noticed some people seem to prefer using a foot switch to key an amp instead of having the transmitter key it. Is there some particular reason for this? Just recently picked up an amp and was wondering what the advantage might be.
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

The keying current is too high for some transmitters with some amplifiers.
The keying relay doesn't drop in/out with a foot switch if you are on vox or semi-break in.
The footswitch can be used to key both amp and transmitter if you wish.
With break in CW, the footswitch is self defeating but keeps the amp from "rattling."
I actually use both methods depending on what I am doing (rag chew vs contest, etc).
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

I prefer a footswitch. It frees up the hands and takes very little getting used to. I use a footswitch to key the rig, no Amp here.

Now, I have to figure a way to keep it from sliding all over the carpet.
KG0MN

Post by KG0MN »

I found and have used for years the foot switches that come with Dictaphone machines. They usually are setup so that one side of the switch starts and the other side stops the Dictaphone machine. Just re-wire it so that both side close the contacts and then it makes no difference which side you step on.

KG0MN