ANTENNA INTERFERENCE

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
kc5ukj

ANTENNA INTERFERENCE

Post by kc5ukj »

I WAS JUST WONDERING IF I RAN A 2 METER ANTENNA ON THE LEFT SIDE OF MY TRUCK AND A 11 METER ON THE OTHER IF THERE WOULD BE ANY INTERFERENCE ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. IF ANYONE HAS DONE THIS I WOULD APPERCIATE THE INFO.... THANKS... KC5UKJ@YAHOO.COM
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

In theory, you would not have any antenna interaction ... however, that is far different from interference.

As to interaction, I'm sure that if you put a very specialized field strength meter and did highly sensitive measurements that there would be minor distortion of the lobes from the antennae. I just don't believe that you would ever know it in practical application.

The interference is a different story though. You won't have "antenna related problems" but there can be RF overload and desensitization of the receivers. It is more likely from 11 to 2 but certainly possible from 2 to 11. If you're like most of us and only carry on one conversation at a time, you probably won't know that either unless you get distorted audio and the non-transmitting radio that just bothers you.

Bottom line -- listen to both any time. Transmit/receive on only 1 at a time. The antennae should be fine in any case.
W0LPQ

Interference

Post by W0LPQ »

If you are listening to a conversation on one, and talk on the other, you may, as K4KK has stated you will most likely have some desense to the one receiving. That is just how it is, when you have a strong RF field in relatively close proximity to the other antenna.

But, as KK stated, you can only talk on one at a time ( or should if you are driving), then you will most likely see no real problem. Remember, the 2M radio will run more power (unless you are grossly illegal) than the 11M radio. Thus, the higher probablility of desense on the 11M radio than the 2M radio.

11M 4W out on AM, while the 2M radio may have as much as 50W or 75W out.

Bill, W0LPQ