Computer for the Kitchen ???

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Computer for the Kitchen ???

Post by KA9FOX »

I want to have a computer in the kitchen, but it has to be out of the way until needed. I'm thinking of a "flip-down" LCD monitor of some sort, plus a wireless keyboard and mouse, with a small computer hidden in a cabinet nearby.

I have searched the Internet but can't seem to find any sort of "flip down" LCD monitor. But they must exist. Any ideas?

- Scott KA9FOX
Free Ham Radio Classified Ads: https://swap.QTH.com
KE3GK

It's getting pretty bad ...

Post by KE3GK »

Computer in the kitchen ? I know you do some kind of networking/website work, but a computer in the kitchen ? Your'e getting bad Scott ...

How about a laptop ? and I assume wireless network ?
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

Give Scott a break!! I'm sure it's for recipe management...
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

Ok, good question. Why?

The main reason is that we do not have a direct view of our driveway and we are out in the boonies a bit. I am going to install a web camera (actually two, one to view the driveway and another to view the front door) and they will stream video that will be viewable via a web page. So, when the XYL is in the kitchen (kind of a central point in the house) she will be able to view the web cams. I may also do one for the baby room.

The secondary reason is for quick e-mail checks, recipes (as k4kk mentioned), and other things that the web is great for.

The problem with a laptop (which is our current solution) is that it is always in the way or never booted up when you need it. Even in hibernate mode, it still sucks to have to wait.

Wireless is not needed since when I built the house, I ran cat5e everywhere. I have nearly 80 runs throughout the house. There is enough RF in the house between ham radio, microwaves, cordless phones and baby monitors, so I didn't want to use wireless unless I really needed it.

The goal is to have a PC that is always on, in the kitchen, and only when needed, drop down a LCD monitor, maybe pull a wireless keyboard & mouse out of a drawer (OK, so that will be wireless :D ) and off we go.....

I've seen a lot of flip-down LCD monitors, but they all seem to be for TV/DVD players and not for PCs. Hmmm....

- Scott
KE3GK

LCD monitor

Post by KE3GK »

Those LCD monitors can be removed from the base and you can get a wallmount and just hang the monitor kind of out of the way - or do some engineering and add hinges to the LCD monitor once removed from the base) and build your own - flip down.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

I can rip a PC apart and rebuild it... but I don't think I have enough aptitude to set up hinges on an (expensive) LCD monitor and have it stay put when it is retracted. And not break it. Would prefer to find one commercially if possible. Gosh, there are a zillion of these things... but they are all for DVD/TV use. Hmmm...
k7iou

Re: Computer for the Kitchen ???

Post by k7iou »

KA9FOX wrote:I want to have a computer in the kitchen, but it has to be out of the way until needed. I'm thinking of a "flip-down" LCD monitor of some sort, plus a wireless keyboard and mouse, with a small computer hidden in a cabinet nearby.

I have searched the Internet but can't seem to find any sort of "flip down" LCD monitor. But they must exist. Any ideas?

- Scott KA9FOX
:idea: How about hanging a LCD from the wall like the dentist office's use?
Costco has a inexpensive 15" LCD...
Dave
73, David
K4ICL

Flipping Monitor Thingy

Post by K4ICL »

I have seen the type of monitor you are seeking. They are to be found in the cabins of commercial aircraft providing a means for showing movies. Also, they are used in police cars and similar situations where space in a vehicle is at a premium.

There are companies that manufacture such screens for use in industry; notably on assembly lines and the like. A visit to a regional or national automation show will yield several contacts for you.

One thing for sure, it will not be inexpensive; unless you can find a surplus supply left over after a contract project.

The option of adapting a readily available screen is, I think, the best approach. You did not say where the screen will be place but if it is to flip down, say from under a cabinet, the adaptation will be relatively simple; you just put gravity to work for you and you will not have to worry about keeping the screen vertical when in use.

When you solve the problem, put pictures on your web site.
Cheers,

AL
K4ICL
k7iou

Re: Computer for the Kitchen ???

Post by k7iou »

KA9FOX wrote:I want to have a computer in the kitchen, but it has to be out of the way until needed. I'm thinking of a "flip-down" LCD monitor of some sort, plus a wireless keyboard and mouse, with a small computer hidden in a cabinet nearby.

- Scott KA9FOX
Funny you would mention the camera/ monitor for the driveway. I did the same thing. Got mine from X10 and it works good. The only problems are when you use the microwave and if anything gets between the wireless recieve antenna. When I finish my new tower I plan on putting one on top of the tower. Will make it interesting for SSTV. hihi Another thought for the computer mount is a surplus police supply. They make a pretty strong mount for mobile computers. I do like the one in my dentist office as its high mounted and fully adjustable. :wink:
73, David