ARRL Bashing Soapbox

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
k4kk

ARRL Bashing Soapbox

Post by k4kk »

I am fed up with the ARRL and they way they are selling out the amateur radio hobby. They started with no-code techs. Now that they have had that for a few years to get new members, they are heading toward no-code upgrades. Next will be the K-mart Blue Light Specials for Extra class.

The whole idea is to get more potential dues members since new hams often join the ARRL before they figure out what a bunch of idiots are in charge at W1AW. The more dues, the more magazine circulation.... more circulation means more advertising revenue. More new hams means more sales for the suppliers and more to spend on advertising. It's a nice circle jerk.

Now the idea is to get more upgraded to HF. More dues, more sales, more advertising revenue and around we go!

The kicker came this afternoon (12 Feb 04) when the FCC voted unanimously to proceed with Broadband over Power Lines (BPL) in spite of the fact that tests had proven that there was significant interference to amateur radio in the HF spectrum. Beyond the interference to amateurs, there will be total data loss from interference to the BPL by amateurs. Although the interference to BPL is not the hams fault, imagine what the neighbors are going to think and/or do! This is a terrible direction and the ARRL's official statement was that they were "disappointed." Boy, that sure puts it on the line doesn't it? What about OUTRAGE? What about standing up for our interests? It is all part of a political trade off. They will get more HF licenses (although it may become unusable) in exchange for sitting quietly while the internet goes bonkers on power lines at the expense of HF operating hams.

Screw the ARRL! The only problem is that by boycotting and denying them my support financially, I get no vote to vote the ignorant scum sucking bottom dwellers out. They are an inbred bunch of cronies that live as parasites off of each other. If the entire amateur radio community voted, none of the ARRL "leadership" (really follow the leader, lack of leadership) idiots would survive the first election. They know that by denying votes to the real hams and then claiming to represent all of us, it is a self serving ritual of mass mutiliation.

BPL is bad. BPL will kill the amateur radio HF spectrum. BPL will cause neighborhood outcries the likes of which we haven't seen since cable TV came on the scene and gave us a break from some of the TVI.

Write congress. Write the FCC. Protest BPL. Tell them all that the ARRL does not represent the amateur radio community. They only represent the small percentage that pays dues. Tell Congress and the FCC that BPL must not proceed as currently proposed. There is enough non-amateur spectrum that they can avoid all ham radio bands completely.
kg4zar

Fed up with ARRL?

Post by kg4zar »

I'm not a fan of the ARRL either but man what ranting! I'm just a lowly "no-code Tech" but even I can see that if you take the "4" out of your call all you have left is the sign of some other notorious ranters. Wonder why that doesn't suprise me?
Maybe the ARRL is a bunch of doofus' but wonder what it would be like if they weren't there at all? And I don't see anyone else stepping up to the plate.
W4FJF

K4KK Cool the bad language!

Post by W4FJF »

I suppose you use the same language on the air. No wonder I have to change frequencies fast when one of you idiots open up with your trash. You can get your point across without using language that would frighten new hams away.
We have an "elmer" here that thinks we need new hams on the air no matter what the cost, he fully supports the suggested new beginner license (no code, no test). He is angry with me now because I said he was nuts, that he suggests that the FCC gives amateur licenses away like the older cb licenses.
I call them "boxtop licenses" from the old cereal boxtop giveaways, and hope I never live to see the day it happens. The way I look at it, if you want to really appreciate being part of a special group of people who have a really neat way of communicating, you have to work hard and EARN that special license. Otherwise, you may as well buy a cellphone, FRS radio, or cb radio. No licenses there, and as about as exciting as watching concrete crack. :roll:
FRED/W4FJF - EMAIL: ffuhrer@elmore.rr.com
Be careful: The toes you stomp on today may be attached to the butt you may have to kiss tomorrow!