Studio Microphones

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
w9mkm

Studio Microphones

Post by w9mkm »

I'm not to bright when it comes to studio mics. Perhaps someone can help me. I have a Kenwood TS-950SD, and a Kenwood TS-480SAT. I am looking for a decent studio mic I could use with either radio. I have used Heil mics in the past, but never got very good reports with them. I'm now using a MC-85 on the 950, and a MC-60 on the 480. They seem to work OK, but am still looking for the sweet sound of a nice studio mic. I don't have a bunch of money to spend on mixers and all that kind of stuff. Is there any nice sounding studio mics out there that can be wired directly to the radios? If so, please let me know the brands, and ball park figures. If this is true, is there someone out there who could wire me a cable for this. Thanks for your time. 73 Mark W9MKM
wx1f

Re: Studio Microphones

Post by wx1f »

w9mkm wrote:I'm not to bright when it comes to studio mics. Perhaps someone can help me. I have a Kenwood TS-950SD, and a Kenwood TS-480SAT. I am looking for a decent studio mic I could use with either radio. I have used Heil mics in the past, but never got very good reports with them. I'm now using a MC-85 on the 950, and a MC-60 on the 480. They seem to work OK, but am still looking for the sweet sound of a nice studio mic. I don't have a bunch of money to spend on mixers and all that kind of stuff. Is there any nice sounding studio mics out there that can be wired directly to the radios? If so, please let me know the brands, and ball park figures. If this is true, is there someone out there who could wire me a cable for this. Thanks for your time. 73 Mark W9MKM
Bob Heil would be the best person to ask...since he sells them. Just go to the Heil website and follow your nose. Keep in mind that a "studio mic" runs thru an elaborate electronic sound board. You would need to buy that in addition to the mic. Personally, the mics made by the manufacturer are the best match...and the newer rigs have mic settings as part of their menu system. Case in point....Icom's 746Pro and Kenwood's TS-2000 ( both of which I own and which I am familiar ).
w9mkm

Studio mic

Post by w9mkm »

As a matter of fact I did e-mail Bob Heil. He told me that a PR-781 would work great. He advised that I should buy a small Behringer mixer/preamp/EQ. I believe if I do this, I will just run the PR-781 on the Kenwood TS-950SD, and either the MC-85, or the MC-60 on the TS-480SAT. Thanks for coming back to me WX1F. 73 Mark W9MKM