The "GREATEST" Antenna Matching Unit?

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
N5JFJ

The "GREATEST" Antenna Matching Unit?

Post by N5JFJ »

Hi Guys and Gals 73's, and because of a wonderful discussion about Baluns some operators are writing about I wanted to just ask your opinion about what Antenna Matching device you think works the Best for the Buck? For myself...It's the Older Models that I find are still ...VICTORIOUS! Of course ones preferable with Direct Outs on them. But hey out here where we SWAP and TRADE equipment, "Let er RIP" What do you think is the Best Antenna Matching Model for the Buck? God Bless De N5JFJ
73's and May God Bless you and your Family
KE3GK

Antenna match ...

Post by KE3GK »

Certainly not any of the MFJ tuners I have tried.

I like the auto tuner in my TS-440, and I like the Kenwood AT-200.
W0LPQ

Antenna Matchboxes

Post by W0LPQ »

1. Gotta be the old Johnson KW Matchbox or the 350 Watt version.
2. Probably the Ultimate Transmatch.

The main problem with built in tuners, they are not where they should be, at the antenna feed point, if you are using balanced line.

Bill, W0LPQ
w5otp

"Greatest Antenna matching unit"

Post by w5otp »

The greatest antenna matching unit exists when an antenna matching unit is not needed. For instance a Quad that has been adjusted to the operating frequency. Ditto for a doublet. A properly adjusted quad for iwill operate well on 5 bands without the need for a matching device--nice to change bands and not have to mess with retuning an antenna tuner.
Since open feeders have been mentioned--they radiate little (nil) when the vswr is high (5:1). You can't beat that. Coax is for lazy people(I use it but I know open wire feeders are better). Since most hams run high power a 3db loss from a tuner and coax does usually not matter but for effiency eliminating the coax and tuner seems like a good idea. Ralph w5otp.
W0LPQ

Tuners

Post by W0LPQ »

Ralph, I do agree that the best is none. However, anyone that has a 3db loss in coax and tuner has bigger problems than the tuner. If one chooses his coax with some forethought (he wants to use coax) then the use of a tuner is a mixed bag.

A tuner really needs to be used with open wire feeders. That, is where the tuner really shines. If you use a common dipole and coax of good quality, the mismatch loss from a 70 ohm antenna and 52 ohm coax (unless they use 75 ohm RG-59 or RG-6) is negligible. Yes, it a loss, but in realistic terms for HF use, it is almost nothing. Even if you attach the 75 ohm stuff to your rig, there is still minimal loss given that most solid state rigs have a nominal 50 ohm output. Good old tube rigs could handle that without any problem.

For those that are picky, use open wire feeders and a tuner. That my friends, as Ralph said "it is the way to go". Maybe if you are lucky, you can build a transformer out of 450 ohm line and coax and eliminate the tuner.

Bill, W0LPQ