VX-7R Programming with VX-Commander.....

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
marty_wittrock

VX-7R Programming with VX-Commander.....

Post by marty_wittrock »

HELP!

Has anyone had any issues with the VX-7R Commander program giving the following response:

Opening Port...
Waiting for first data block...
ERROR: Timeout while waiting for first data block.
Number of bytes in buffer: 0
Dump of buffer:
Port closed.

I have TWO (not just one) but TWO cables (one is straight 9-pin COM Port cable, the other is a USB 'serial converter' cable) that are specifically designed for the VX-7R. I've had NOTHING but trouble getting either one to program my VX-7R, and have had a couple of instances (maybe I held my jaw just-so) where the right programming cable and delay timing was set to program my '7R. Tried reprogramming it recently to add some frequencies and.....NO GO. Cannot get it past the error timeout. Tried adjusting port setting (baud) and the advanced settings (buffers).....still no go. Right now I have it defaulted to 9600 8,N,1, and the delay is set to 15 (default). I've tried setting delay from 8 to 18.....still no joy.

VX Commander is a GREAT program and it should be working fine (I even reloaded it twice - still no go). VX-2 Commander works great with my VX-2.....just my VX-7R doesn't work with VX-7R Commander.

Like I typed earlier, this HT programmed 2 months ago (with the same trial and error, but I finally got it to work), but somehow lost the recipe to make it work again.

Is there anyone who's run into this issue with a '7R? What did you do to staighten it out.....I want to know so I can program my HT again....reliabily.

73's Guys - keep me tuned-in.....de Marty, KN0CK
de Marty (KN0CK)
marty_wittrock

VX-7R Programming - the fix!

Post by marty_wittrock »

Guys,

I had a Ham respond to me by email and told me the fix for the programming error I was seeing with my VX-7R. Here's the fix:

1.) YOU HAVE TO DO A RECEIVE FROM THE HT BEFORE YOU CAN PROGRAM TO IT.

So, dutifully, instead of doing the download to the HT, I just did a RECEIVE from the HT, discarded the info, pulled up the programming file, and did a WRITE to the HT using the prompts and.......IT WORKED!

For all time, let it be known that you have to recieve first, then transmit a programming file to the '7R.

73's de Marty, KN0CK

P.S. - It works with both cables doing that now......!

73's
de Marty (KN0CK)
rverner

Same Message

Post by rverner »

When I try to read HT get the same message.

Opening Port...
Waiting for first data block...
ERROR: Timeout while waiting for first data block.
Number of bytes in buffer: 0
Dump of buffer:
Port closed.

When I try to write to the HT, it goes through everything as if it's working fine. But nothing goes on the HT.
Thanks Rverner