To donate, or not to donate??

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
N8QBY

To donate, or not to donate??

Post by N8QBY »

Over the years, I have gathered up quite a bit of ham radio equipment. Most of it I don't use anymore, ie, (2M ht's, scanners, mobiles). I have often thought about donating some equipment to new, or not so fortunate hams. My problem is, should I post an ad, wanting to donate to a new or needy ham, how do I know if this person is legit, and will not just turn around and re-sell the item?? While I can look up a person's call to see if they are a new ham or not, this does not stop someone from pleading their case, just to get the freebie. While it might be equipment in excess of my needs, I still wouldn't want to give it away with good intentions, only to see it up for sale a short time later.
I guess that I could just try and give some away to local amateurs in my area, (not that many), or through our local club. There are others elsewhere though that could use a good ht, or whatever.
I would like to hear from others with their opinions. Tnx, Pat N8QBY