Henry 2K amp

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
WB8JBG

Henry 2K amp

Post by WB8JBG »

My henry circuit breaker is tripping eveytime I switch it to SSB, It will load up alright on CW , but as soon as I switch it to SSB the main circuit breaker trips and I get a funny smell, but not like if a cap was going bad. I suspect it may be the CW/SSB switch itself, but I don't know. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TNX.
WB8JBG
WA9WVX

HENRY 2K RF AMP

Post by WA9WVX »

Hello Ed,

I couldn't download the Henry 2K RF Amplifier schematic off of an on-line website .... Frustrating! What might be causing the amplifier circuit breaker to pop switching between CW Tune & SSB Operation is an interesting problem.. I did locate an interesting article here on-line referencing the Henry 2K Series RF Amplifiers Evalution and Bob K0KR takes everything into account while explaining the different upgraded versions.

http://lists.contesting.com/_amps/1997-11/msg00248.html

I found Bob's Note 3 very intriguing considering the unusual smell coming from the amplifier's RF compartment. Perhaps Plastic or a similar chemical substance is heating up and burning. It's difficult to know how you will accomplish getting replacemant parts on a 40+ Year Old RF Amplifier Design although there's a RadioDan's W7RF website:

http://www.radiodan.com/

I think (but I'm not positive) that W7RF Dan was Henry Radio's RF Amplifier Designer & Manufacturing facility for only the last 10~25 years, Someone else Designed & Manufactured the previous Henry RF Amplifiers from the early 1960s through the early 1980s. .

Dan
WA9WVX
WB8JBG

Henry 2K Classic

Post by WB8JBG »

TNX for the info. The arcing is coming from the CW/SSB switch. The amp runs fine until you switch from CW to SSB and then the contact on the switch arcs and the unit shuts down. I tryed cleaning the contacts to no avail. I'll keep looking TNX. 73's Ed WB8JBG