Ham with no time to play ...

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
KE3GK

Ham with no time to play ...

Post by KE3GK »

Here's my problem ...

I have all kinds of good gear ... TS-440SAT, TS-520SE, FT-650,TM-331, FT-5100, RigBlaster for PSK31, RTTY etc. BUT ... I have no time to play with them. I haven't been on the air since December !

Here's what I have discovered as to why I have this problem ...

1) I own a computer services company, that keeps me busy...

2) I have a wife that likes to go on vacations and go places (and spend money), that is tying me up a bit ...

3) My daughter, her hubby and my granddaughter (3 yrs old) live 2 houses away from me, and I love being with my granddaughter ... that keeps me occupied ...

4) I'm addicted to the computer, QTH.COM, Ebay, radio newsgroups ... too much time spent on the internet ...

5) I love gardening ... only keeps me busy spring thru fall ...

6) and then I make time for friends and family ... partys, get-togethers, cookouts

I don't have time to play on the radio ! I need to give something up (besides the radio). I was thinking that if I gave up my wife, I would save lots of money (for more radio gear) and I wouldn't have to travel as much. (I haven't mentioned this to her yet because I am only 45, and want to live a few more years).

Any suggestions ?
vk2uw

Divorce

Post by vk2uw »

If you are thinking of a Divorce, :D
Then you are bound to loose everything :shock: including your Radio's / House etc to cover the Divorce. :(

If you go ahead with that idea, then you will have plenty of time for radio, but no radio and no house to setup your station.
:evil:

Why would you want to send a monster :twisted: that you have created out into the world and maybe meet up with another Amateur and put him off air too. :?:

I think for everyones benefit :idea: it would be better to stick to the devil :evil: that you helped create and think of your fellow Hams :?: and let them enjoy the hobby :P .

Please keep me posted.
Good luck in what ever you decide :wink:
Chris Wright
VK2UW
KM5FL

Post by KM5FL »

I have a tee shirt that says,

"My wife told me she was
gonna leave me if I didn't
give up ham radio..

Gee I'll miss her"'

Km5fl
vk2uw

"T" Shirts

Post by vk2uw »

Where do you get them from :D

Do what I did, get your wife into Amateur Radio :idea:

It makes life a lot better and updating your gear as well :wink:
Chris Wright
VK2UW
KE3GK

Smile ...

Post by KE3GK »

:D There's a good chuckle ... :lol:

KM5FL wrote:I have a tee shirt that says,

"My wife told me she was
gonna leave me if I didn't
give up ham radio..

Gee I'll miss her"'

Km5fl
KM5FL

Re: "T" Shirts

Post by KM5FL »

vk2uw wrote:Where do you get them from :D

Do what I did, get your wife into Amateur Radio :idea:

It makes life a lot better and updating your gear as well :wink:

Actually, my wife gave me the tee shirt.. She loves me but has no interest in my hobby.. I think she just wanted me to look bad in front of my friends.. :oops: :roll:
N5JFJ

Post by N5JFJ »

:D Actually these atricles are becoming a source of enjoyment and in this case "laughter" But Man...this can really be a SERIOUS PROBLEM! (As I can Identify) I was Lucky enough to find out that my wife always wanted to learn how to play Piano, so we bought her one and she's taking lessons now. Of course while she practices (God Bless her Heart) everything for miles RUNS for cover, because that is how one learns. BUT :wink: I find that this the the perfect time for me to say "Well Dear, I shall slip outside to the shack and visit with a few friends on the Radio while you practice!" Hey what can I say...It has given us both the time to do something we enjoy, and just plain works!
I suppose for myself...I would suggest planning your time in such a manner that you can ENJOY your HOBBY...while she enjoys or goes to do something that SHE ENJOYS! Doesn't mean that you get the amount of time that you'd like to have with your hobby...But again :wink: Man it sure keeps the Peace and just plain keeps her from getting the Idea that the Old Radio hobby is more important, than she is. And besides...When the temperature is Freezing and you climb into that bed? That Old microphone just nevers seems to warm up quite like she does (HI-HI) Hey I had one buddy that became SO ADDICTED to Ham Radio, that the WEEDS overtook the place, we dont even know if they are there anymore, and it became the whole SOURCE for his Life's enjoyment! I suppose understanding and a Good Balance, is the answer. And of course communication...laughing "Man - Go Buy her, or find her...Her Piano" Now - "What might her Piano...Be???? :roll: " God Bless. (smiling Here)
73's and May God Bless you and your Family
Don Belcher

The Ham's Lament

Post by Don Belcher »

I want you to know that you are not alone. I have been licensed since 1961 and I have always had a similar situation problem fitting in all the demands of life and accommodating a hobby. I talked to one old guy a few months ago who was in Arizona and he had decided earlier in life that marriage and hamming did not mix, so he had made the choice to live alone. I do not recommend such an extreme solution, however it just points out that lots of folks have this problem.

From a moral perspective I believe we men are called to face up to our responsibilities, even at the expense of self. I do not subscribe to the "me now" generation's philosophy (although I am a baby-boomer). Yes, it is frustrating at times.

One thing I did this year was to move my ham equipment into the office and set it up right next to my wife's computer where she spends lots of time in the evening. If I play with my radios, I can use earphones, or psk and pretty much not interfere with things she is doing. But being in the same room together does help a lot. It is not what is called "quality time" but it does a lot to reduce the feeling of separateness which can occur when you start spending your hobby time hidden away in a shop or radio room.

The heart is the best place to look for solutions and I wish you the very best in finding one.

Don Belcher, W4JVE
Rogersville, TN
KE3GK

Re: The Ham's Lament

Post by KE3GK »

[quote="Don Belcher"]
From a moral perspective I believe we men are called to face up to our responsibilities ...

I know what you mean Don ... responsibilites like aligning our radios, checking SWR, keeping the shack clean ... it's a rotten job, but someone has to do it ... Hi :lol:
wr0t

Wives and Ham radio

Post by wr0t »

Well, my first wife hated ham radio with a passion. My now wife tolerates it nicely.

She collects glass stuff and displays it, I collect radios and display them.

I know nothing about glass and she knows nothing about radio, ah this is truly heaven on earth.

I go with her to glass shops sometimes and wait in the car and she drops me off at fests and goes to glass shops. Heck of a deal................

She does not care what I spend and I do not care what she spends as we both have our own :D :wink: :arrow: "play" accounts.......
Proud to Fly the Flag Long Before Was Popular
vk2uw

Post by vk2uw »

WR0T

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, my first wife hated ham radio with a passion. My now wife tolerates it nicely.
She collects glass stuff and displays it,
I know nothing about glass.

Just a couple of suggestions: :idea:

1/ Buy yourself a crash helmut :shock: as Glass is is heavy and hard if thrown :wink:

2/ try and get your Wife into Teddy Bears or the like as they are stuffed with cotton wool :idea:

:idea: that brings me to a conclusion: :arrow: Women must be the draw back on our Hobby and declining Amateurs. :wink:

:idea: I think all men should Burn there undies :wink: like the women burt there Bras :shock:
I don't know about the Baby Boomers :wink: But there are some big Bloomers :shock: out there since they burnt the Bras :shock:
Chris Wright
VK2UW