Kenwood 950/henry 2K classic

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
WB8JBG

Kenwood 950/henry 2K classic

Post by WB8JBG »

OK, thanks for info. This is what I did. Checked for resistance in the relay line from the Kenwood ( 2 different lines) I have no resistance. I shorted the relay from the amp manually andit worked, I was able to get 1000 watts out per my watt meter. So it appears that there is something wrong with the circuit in the remote connection (not the line) on the Kenwood. Am I assuming correctly? Is it an easy fix? TNX>
k9yli

Post by k9yli »

third try
you need to have the schematics and know how it should work
before you can fix it.
IIts sounds like the cable for the PTT control is missing, mis-wired or has broken wires between the
kenwood and the amp.

draw a simplified schematic of the PTT circuit.

1... sequence is as follows.

1 hit PTT on mic.
2... kenwood goes to transmit and a Ptt/transmit relay has a point close to
activate the PTT line at the ptt jack in the back.
3... ptt /xmit relay in amp shold pick.

so turn amp ac power off...
tune up kenowood to dummy load.
ptt and use volt meter to follow the PTT line from kenwood to amp..

does schematic or op manual show wether the ptt jack supplies voltage
or just a closed dry contact for the ptt jack in the kenwood????

second what does the amp expect. its op manual shoud explain what it needs at the ptt jack to go into transmit.

the two could be 'not directly' compatable..
as in kenwood provides a dry contact to ground in transmit mode.
and the amp looks for a voltage to pick the relay.
I dont have a schematic for the kenwood.
i will check I think I downloade the amp one for your previous question.
k9yli

Post by k9yli »

got directions from BAMA.
says 2kclassic just needs a relay clousure point to activate the transmit relay.

also says some kenwoods may require a resistor in series with the line.

getting closer to the problem
WA9WVX

No External Relay Switching

Post by WA9WVX »

Well, I've been following this broken Thread because first Ed doesn't understand the meaning of a "Forum Thread!" Ed you always open the continuing Thread as a NEW Subject which it isn't!

Secondly, Don K9YLI informed you on "Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:00 pm" and I will Quote Don: "You will need both schematics ..... a volt ohm milliamp meter.". This would have been the Kenwood TS-950SDX H.F. Transceiver and the Henry 2 K RF Amplifier which I did not see any indications that Ed acquired or full filled your basic request.

My feelings are, Ed is playing you ("Don") for a Sucker. In other words, Don fixes my radio problems so I (as in Ed) won't need to learn how to open and read or understand Product Instruction or Service Manuals and Ed gets his radio equipment fixed FREE OF CHARGE!"

I can save Don an immense amount of time and effort trying to correct YOUR rediculous Chinese Fire Drill! And perhaps, Ed may be able to LEARN a few things even at his age. I wrote this reply so a Fifth Grader in Grammar School can understand it as I'm not trying to insult a former Big Blue Engineer from a former Circle M Ranch Design & Development Engineer.

Ed,

Go to the following website:

http://ac6v.com/

Scroll down to section labeled, CHOOSE YOUR AREA OF INTEREST and move your computer’s mouse to the section labeled: 5. MANUALS, now Click your computer’s mouse on this field.

http://ac6v.com/manuals.htm

Again, scroll down to the field labeled: FREE – BEES and move your mouse over the field labeled:

THE MOTHER LODE OF MANUALS – WOW DE WOW and Click your computer’s mouse on this Field.

You may receive a Microsoft message stating: Please Don’t forget to send your donation via PayPal. – Thank You! (I’ll leave this option up to you!)

Once You have chose either the Yes or No buttons, you will be directed to the following webpage: http://kb2ljj.serveftp.com/ and again scroll down the left hand side till you locate the field labeled: Kenwood and move your computer’s mouse over the word and Click this field.

You will be brought to the next webpage labeled:

http://kb2ljj.serveftp.com/kenwoods/ and scroll down the right hand side of this webpage to the TS-950SDX Instructions Manual and Click your computer’s mouse on this field. It may take 30 seconds to 1 minute to download this PDF document to your computer’s internal Harddrive or Desktop. To SAVE the PDF document to your computer, go to the ICON on the lowest STATUS Bar lower left hand corner, take your computer’s mouse and Click on the small “Floppy Disk ICON” to SAVE to your computer. While you’re at the correct document site, you might as well return to the previous webpage, locate the TS-950SDX Service Manual and download this PDF document and SAVE to your computer. You will be required to have either Acrobat Reader or FoxIt to open and read these software documents.

Let’s say you have made it this far and have either software program to open the documents. I would suggest to open the Instruction Manual “First”, Scroll down to Page # 54, first reading the top section labeled: TRANSMIT and then Scroll down to Page # 56 Section 5–6–6 for Linear Amplifier Control and READ this page. If you have managed to accomplish reading and understanding all of this basic information between your H.F. transceiver and your Henry KW RF Amplifier, at this point time you may feel like a FOOL and Y-O-U DESERVE IT! Everything I have provided to you is right out on the world wide Internet. This is not Rocket Science, I think it's been referred to as "Common Sense!"

Dan
WA9WVX
k9yli

Post by k9yli »

wvx, that m have been a little harsh, but the point is correct for many questions here oand on the ZED.
its so easy to ask questions, when the answers are on the internet.

If there were no internet and the questions wqere asked at a club meeting, then ther asker may not have resources to investigate.

Being old school, where youhad to know all this stuff to pass the tests, it gets frustrating some times.
Extra class used to be equivalent , approxamately to 2nd phone, Which i passed.
Now extras ask questions, similar to a eigth grader asking some explaination of a 'dick and jane' book.

Bottom line is you cant see there face or know there age when the ask , so the only answer is, answer the question best you can and ,mostly hope someone else out there reading won't ask the same question.
I try to make my answers 'teaching' answers, not just fix the specific.

and i did get a nice Email from the questioner, when he found the answer.
WA9WVX

Post by WA9WVX »

Hello Don,

From many of the Forum Post I've read, anyone who come to this webpage that possesses an Extra Class License shouldn't be asking such basic questions in relationship to connecting a RF Linear Amplifier to the H.F. Transceiver. If the individual was asking advice regarding a certain problem in regards to the RF Vacuum Tubes, Intermittent P.O., Spurious Out Of Band Emissions or even ALC problems, this I would understand from a person that holds an Extra Class License.

Maybe I am harsh but nobody has ever stated when the individuals come to these forums and write their Post, "Hey guys I've got an unusual problem on my equipment and I'm not that technically oriented." At least you would know that the individual you're attempting to advise or help only had enough knowledge to Pass a written exam and that's it. Give the same individual something simple to build and use everyday practical logic or the thought process to troubleshhot a failure and these individuals fall flat on their face. And what makes matters even worse, they don't ask questions to try and solve the problems with the help or aid of an "Elmer" or a Mentor.

Heaven knows how these same people can even function with day to day problem solving in daily life. The light burnt out in the hallway so I better call a licensed electrician to fix it ...DUH!

I came from the old school of thought too and practical experience. I fell on my face many times, through school and into my professional career. Each time I would be required to learn the lesson so it didn't happen the next time. Nothing has ever been handed to me on a "Silver Platter" in either my 34 year career in Communications Electronics (Land Mobile Radio Two-Way Communications) or through my 40 years in the Amateur Radio hobby.

In fact I've held my Commercial Radiotelephone (1ST Class) License a.k.a. GROL since August of 1971 The F.C.C. Second and First Class exams far out strip any Amateur Radio exam I've witnessed since that time or beyond. You either know the information and how to use electronic formulas or you don't and there isn't anything in between.

Your point regarding researching any on the Internet is sooo hard to do, well the Internet has been around for 10 to 12 years now and there are plenty of "research engines like Google" to enter a combination of words or phrases into the allocation Field for searching out the material you need. I don't understand why today's society is so scared to fail while researching the information.

If the newest operators can not understand the information we are providing them, then they will be required to seek out a local Amateur Radio Club to anwser, teach and assist these people what this great hobby is all about.

"Nobody ever said that life would be fair."

Dan
WA9WVX
W4AIN

Post by W4AIN »

WA9WVX wrote:Hello Don,

From many of the Forum Post I've read, anyone who come to this webpage that possesses an Extra Class License shouldn't be asking such basic questions in relationship to connecting a RF Linear Amplifier to the H.F. Transceiver. If the individual was asking advice regarding a certain problem in regards to the RF Vacuum Tubes, Intermittent P.O., Spurious Out Of Band Emissions or even ALC problems, this I would understand from a person that holds an Extra Class License.

Maybe I am harsh but nobody has ever stated when the individuals come to these forums and write their Post, "Hey guys I've got an unusual problem on my equipment and I'm not that technically oriented." At least you would know that the individual you're attempting to advise or help only had enough knowledge to Pass a written exam and that's it. Give the same individual something simple to build and use everyday practical logic or the thought process to troubleshhot a failure and these individuals fall flat on their face. And what makes matters even worse, they don't ask questions to try and solve the problems with the help or aid of an "Elmer" or a Mentor.

Heaven knows how these same people can even function with day to day problem solving in daily life. The light burnt out in the hallway so I better call a licensed electrician to fix it ...DUH!

I came from the old school of thought too and practical experience. I fell on my face many times, through school and into my professional career. Each time I would be required to learn the lesson so it didn't happen the next time. Nothing has ever been handed to me on a "Silver Platter" in either my 34 year career in Communications Electronics (Land Mobile Radio Two-Way Communications) or through my 40 years in the Amateur Radio hobby.

In fact I've held my Commercial Radiotelephone (1ST Class) License a.k.a. GROL since August of 1971 The F.C.C. Second and First Class exams far out strip any Amateur Radio exam I've witnessed since that time or beyond. You either know the information and how to use electronic formulas or you don't and there isn't anything in between.

Your point regarding researching any on the Internet is sooo hard to do, well the Internet has been around for 10 to 12 years now and there are plenty of "research engines like Google" to enter a combination of words or phrases into the allocation Field for searching out the material you need. I don't understand why today's society is so scared to fail while researching the information.

If the newest operators can not understand the information we are providing them, then they will be required to seek out a local Amateur Radio Club to anwser, teach and assist these people what this great hobby is all about.

"Nobody ever said that life would be fair."

Dan
WA9WVX

WELL, WHOOP-DEE-DOO!!!! :roll:
Phil - W4AIN
On The Air Communications
www.w4ain.com
WB8JBG

Post by WB8JBG »

I guess you can't use the QRZ any better than you can offer help instead of ragging on someone. For your info I am not an extra class.