new tower and antenna

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
WB8JBG

new tower and antenna

Post by WB8JBG »

I am putting up a 60 foot tower (Rohn 25 G) I want to mount a Cushcraft tri band ,on top of that I want to mount a stacked 2 meter beam..How far down in the tower should I mount the rotor(Ham 4) and 2. How high above the tri band should I mount the stacked 2 meter. TNX!
WA9WVX

new tower & antennas

Post by WA9WVX »

Hello Ed,

How about providing which Rohn 25G top section you have for your tower, Tapered Top or Flat Plate Bearing Top?

What type of 2 Meter Beams are you putting above the Tri-Bander, either Vertical for FM or Horizontal for CW / SSB?

What sixe is the Mast Pipe that you intend to purchase and use: provide Outside Diameter & Wall Thickness in Inches?

I hope you have thought about using an internal Bearing & Shelf besides the Rotor & Shelf.

I hope you haven't thought that the 60 Foot Rohn 25G tower will be used as a Self-Supporting Tower as it will not work, not even using house brackets! Your homeowners insurance company will not have a great sense of humor if the tower falls.

Dan
WA9WVX
WB8JBG

Post by WB8JBG »

the top is tapered, I'm putting up 2 , vertical FM and SSB 11 element beams on top of a 3 element tri band beam. mast pipe is 2 inches. wall thickness is about 1/4 inch. I have the bearings and the rotor shelf that came with the rotor.
WA9WVX

Post by WA9WVX »

Okay, how long is your mast pipe?

If you're putting up two (2) Vertical 11- Element Beams for FM. Don't expect the Vertical Beams to work well on 2-meter SSB because there's a minimum of 20 dB to 30 dB in cross polarization. Everybody I know, including myself use Horizontal Polarization for Weak Signal CW / SSB operation. If you use Vertical Polarization, you'll notice a garble signal distortion on the received audio. Your radio signal will not be able to hear those long distance stations over 400~500 miles away.

Dan
WA9WVX