need help from cw fans,

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
k1pml

need help from cw fans,

Post by k1pml »

hello ,

i recently acquired a ww II vintage j-5-a flame proof key, only one problem

i have never wired a cord of this type before just want to make sure i do it

correctly , and any suggestions on appropriate materials (cable, connector

etc) as to prevent any extraneous emissions..

just learning cw, really want to learn the right way, and have not been able to

find any info on the web..

k1pml
OJSJR

Post by OJSJR »

What do you plan to plug the key into?

Does the J5 have two posts or three? If it is like the old J38, I should be able
to help you.

Let me know.

OJ
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

You will find it very difficult to screw that up. You can run almost any 2 wires to a plug for your radio (typically a 1/4 inch mono type plug). Just be sure that they are insulated wires. A single shielded wire works well with the shield to the ground side of the plug and, usually, the "base" side of the key (although it really doesn't matter). I would recommend either a shielded conductor or a twisted pair.

I never got fast enough with a straight key to worry about creating flames.

Seriously, you probably know that it was designed to prevent sparks from igniting fumes present in tanks, aircraft, etc. Most modern transceivers are incapable of generating enough energy with the keying contact to even develop a spark, let alone reach LEL ignition levels. If...IF...you intend to use the key in a truly hazardous environment, then you must adhere to other safety considerations and ignore everything I said about "general purpose" environments.