Amateur operator GREED!

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
w8jn

victim or stupid

Post by w8jn »

Dan,
A man who stands in the rain without an umbrella is going to get wet. If he comes to me and whines that he is getting wet, I can only give him a "get out of stupid free " card. The wet guy is not a victim. He is a turkey who drowns in a rainstorm because it looked up and wondered why it had trouble breathing. Stand in traffic... get run over... touch wet paint.. get messy.... touch a downed electric wire, get electrocuted... pay to much for ham gear? line up and get your "stupid card". NOT VICTIM CARD!!!
best 73 paul w8jn
VE6ZM

Post by VE6ZM »

Paul

Lets agree to disagree, I am not changing your mind & your not changing mine.

Best 73
hope to see you on the air

Dan
VE6ZM
NR9R

Post by NR9R »

I would like to post two redeeming comments about this issue while it is getting out of hand:

1) When I started out as a Ham and became active in a local club, I remember being GIVEN more equipment than I knew what to do with. I remember my new friends being elated that someone was willing to haul some of their junk out of the basement without charging them. I was just as elated to allow this "junk" to become my first station.

2)A more careful look through the QTH.COM classifieds actually reveals many kindly deals. There are dozens of Hams who have taken the time to list various cables, electronic components, and other accessories for under $10-barely enough to make it worthwhile to ship. I interpret these ads as good gestures; a desire to pass on an item that will help someone else more than it benefits them.

Anthony
w8jn

we agree

Post by w8jn »

Dan,
I enjoy a good knock down drag out argument and respect a PERSON WHO STICKS BY THEIR GUNS! Even though you are 100% wrong I respect your opinion. I may seem like a hard core jerk, however look at my feedback and see what I did for RADEK in Poland who was cheated by an extra class ham in ohio. I drove 3 hours to Toledo to straighten this guy out and get Radeks money back. I still have no sympathy for someone who is "a fool and his money"
best 73 paul w8jn
KC0UKR

Post by KC0UKR »

VE6ZM wrote:Paul

Lets agree to disagree, I am not changing your mind & your not changing mine.

Best 73
hope to see you on the air

Dan
VE6ZM
Dan
Since you are being all agreeable.....
Tell me exactly where one turns from a decent Ham to a Greedy one?

Lets say I buy a 2 Meter Mobile for $150.00 new.
Then in 2 years I want to sell it,
Am I Greedy asking,$50.00,$75.00,$100.00,$125.00 or am I Greedy if I do not give it away?

Lets now say that I am selling because I want to upgrade,to a dual band radio.
How does that change things?

Now lets say I want to upgrade to a dual-band so I can help with emergency communications and be more of service to others.

What is the "Greed Multiplier" for that?

Maybe I am struggling and can not upgrade without getting a premium price for my old rig.

What I am getting at is this.

You bring up several issues with your original post that are not always related but then you tie them all together in ways that offend me.

No one will argue that the pricing of a lot of gear has gotten out of hand.I have no idea what some people are thinking?

But this is not simply an automatic reflection of anything but their ignorance of the marketplace.
Clearly some are greedy and some are not.

I refuse to feel ashamed or try to pass my judgement or standards on someone else because they do not act as I see fit.

How can you?

Try standing in someone elses shoes before deciding to go public with this crap.please.

Running away from this can of worms you opened is not helping your argument either.

Ed
w8jn

big mother

Post by w8jn »

Ed ,
There are lots of people out there who think that there needs to be a mother overseer who cleans up after you and protects you from evil! They are the same people who think that "all people should have the same and make the same $$$" I have never felt that government owes me a living or someone needs to be my keeper. If I am cheated, "Shame on me". best 73 paul w8jn
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

I guess one could just consider the higher prices as a, "Buy It Now", price. If you want the item bad enough, you can opt to pay the asking price. If not, wait and make a lesser offer, or look somewhere else. Some equipment just holds it's value better than others. Case in point, the Yaesu FT-1500M, when the last of these were sold new, one could get them for $119.95. These radios frequently get sold now for anywhere from $130-$160.00. Do I blame the seller for price gouging? No, just selling what turned out to be a nice little radio, and making a profit.
Obviously there are umpteen other examples one could use, If someone has an obviously outlandish price on a piece of equipment, I just chuckle to myself, and move on.
I think maybe the original author might have gotten caught up in the, "brotherhood/sisterhood", theme of ham radio of the past. Times are different now, good or bad. All is just my opinion.
This would have made a good chat board article.

Life is to short....go fishing.

73 Pat N8QBY
VE6ZM

Post by VE6ZM »

Agreeable!?!?!? Ha, hardly, he’s not changing my opinion and I am not changing his. And that I agree upon! Here’s my point, I will not pay new or almost new prices for used (sometimes very used) equipment furthermore I find it deeply insulting that someone would have the audacity to do so. I will say it again, equipment (typically) gets improved by manufacturers over time. If you want to buy a piece of equipment that is 6 months to 4 years old with no warranty for the same price or close to the same price as a new, updated, guaranteed piece then fire away. Moreover, if you don’t find it insulting to have someone ask new prices for used equipment then you have a lot more patience than I do. Paul & all thanks for the discussion.

Take care all
Dan
VE6ZM
Last edited by VE6ZM on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Anybody can ask whatever they want for something.

IT'S UP TO YOU IF THEY GET WHAT THEY'RE ASKING!

I wonder how many of the bellyachers would tell the boss: "Oh, no thanks. I don't want the raise. I'm overpaid as it is"?

JERRY

N9LCD
KC0UKR

Post by KC0UKR »

Dan

Just tell us exactly how we should be pricing things.

Really.
K7FF

Say, Mr. Boo Hoo. . .

Post by K7FF »

Might it be that we needeth look elsewhere to find the truly greedy dudesters amongst us. . .?

You know the type (which abound in the hallowed ranks of the ham radio kingdom)--no matter how much, or how little, the guy is asking, it still ain't cheap enuff Something many CAN agree upon--a guy is fraught with greed when he asks more than you want to pay--BUT, it takes a bit more astuteosity to recognize the greed of the radio cheapskate when he gets something on the cheap. He is so proud of what he pulled off he can't wait to brag to his buddies about the 'good deal' he pulled off.

I suspect that a few of you reading this recognize those of whom I
speak--perhaps when you furtively glance in the mirror of an early morn. . .
n5wrx

Post by n5wrx »

Ham radio is going to the dogs and Dan up in Canada thinks it is because greedy American hams are selling their used radios to ignorant newbies for way to much money.

Perhaps the fact that all you need is the ability to remember questions and the correct answer to get an extra class license could have something to do with it.

Well, perhaps we should all just give away our radios ... that would save ham radio!

Box um up boys and send them all to me and I will see they get to a deserving new extra class no coder.
It is not too late to save ham radio for future generations.

William Lee N5WRX
VE6ZM

Post by VE6ZM »

Gentlemen

This bantering can/will go on forever, as I said, if you want to pay new or close to new prices for USED equipment, FIRE AWAY, have fun.

This comment from Bill is phenomenal,
“Ham radio is going to the dogs and Dan up in Canada thinks it is because greedy American hams are selling their used radios to ignorant newbies for way to much money”.

Where, in any of my comments, did I say that American hams are the cause of over priced USED equipment? I used a Canadian as an example in one of my entries!

Go for it boys, buy all the USED 857Ds you can for $800 a pop when they cost $680 new. Buy a used IC 706 MIIG for $1200 when a new one will cost you $949. What I find even more astonishing is the fact that many are actually arguing in favor of this practice. I guess you guys have made a small fortune selling swamp land in Florida.

Have a nice day guys.

Daniel
VE6ZM
KC0UKR

Post by KC0UKR »

Dan
I am convinced that you do not even read anyone elses response or comprehend the discussion that you started?

Tell us how we should be selling our gear to avoid being greedy as you claim.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS QUESTION?

If you do not reply to this I will understand, It is easy to bitch and point the finger but putting your "Money where your mouth is" takes a little work.

You seem to prefer to Whine and Cry about this but will take no constructive stance.

Tell us what the correct way to sell is.

I am waiting but expect nothing.

You have long since proven your true position here.

Ed