Service for Kenwood TS930S

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
W6RDY

Post by W6RDY »

Does anyone know where I can get my TS930S serviced. I would prefer somewhere close to northern Arizona if possible. I have an audio problem.

Thanks
WA9WVX

Post by WA9WVX »

Hello Frank,

Here's an interesting request that isn't going away. As our Amateur Radio population purchases equipment that becomes 10 years old or older and the operator need service work performmed on the equipment, there isn't a service shop nearby or most Commerical Dealers with a service department won't touch an older rig because of parts availability and/or the time and cost to troubleshoot the failure itself.

I don't know if there's an answer for your request although since you're retired and probably living on a fixed income, I know there's a technical college in Prescott, AZ that teaches Electrical Engineering and perhaps you could contact the college for an undergraduate 3rd or 4th year student to troubleshoot and service your equipment. Your other option would be to look up in the Yellow Pages for a Kenwood Commercial Land Mobile Radio Shop in Flagstaff, AZ and ask them if you could bring the TS930S transceiver up to their shop so they could take a look at the problem.

There is one other option and this would be to contact Randy KK7TV in Phoenix, AZ and here's his web link:

http://www.kk7tv.com/index.html and then go to QRZ com for his Callsign look up and E-mail address.

If Randy can restore 40~50 year old Boat Anchor radio equipment, he most likely can repair your Kenwood TS930S transceiver.

I hope you were smart enough to purchase a Service Shop Manual for TS930S so any service facility would have the manual for the Schematics and Part numbers. Most likely Kenwood will not have replacement Parts for that transceiver due to the age of the unit but any sharp service technician or engineer would be able to find alternate parts to repair your radio.

You have stated that the transceiver has an audio problem. I'll take a wild guess it's a receiver problem which could be caused by "intermittent" cold solder connections (through the printed circuit board) which is very common for Kenwood equipment and/or defective capacitors in the audio stage due to the age of the unit.

Dan
WA9WVX
W6RDY

Post by W6RDY »

Dan,

Thank you very much for your help. I think I have somewhat isolated my problem to the input mike circuit. When I use the speech processor the problem goes away. I'll certainly keep all the info you gave me on file. Randy in Phoenix sounds awfully familiar. I had taken my TS520S to him many years ago. He had a commercial service shop at that time. I just wonder if it is the same person. Thanks again