How do yu get smoke smell out of amplifiers???

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
na5ar

How do yu get smoke smell out of amplifiers???

Post by na5ar »

I made the mistake of not asking "is it from a non smoking envioment", so needless to say I have no one to blame but myself. the oder is not to bad but there non the less. Does anyone have any info to share as how to eliminate the oder. Tnx Bob kw5usa
wa4cch

Re: How do yu get smoke smell out of amplifiers???

Post by wa4cch »

kw5usa wrote:I made the mistake of not asking "is it from a non smoking environment", so needless to say I have no one to blame but myself. the oder is not to bad but there non the less. Does anyone have any info to share as how to eliminate the oder. Tnx Bob kw5usa

:roll: well this is what i would do wash the cabinet with mild dish washing soap
make that wipe it down then wipe with clean damp rag that should get the crud off the outside next i would remove the tubes and wipe them off too as they tend to hold the nicotine goop be sure amp is off and ground the plate caps put them back in then put a couple of dryer sheets inside cover with large trash bag for a couple of days then REMOVE the dryer sheets make sure every is in place close it up that should help a great deal hope that helps

73 chuck 8)
wa8mea

Post by wa8mea »

-
Last edited by wa8mea on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
KB8IPZ

worked for me

Post by KB8IPZ »

I once loaned a radio to a buddy, and it came back stinking of smoke and wet dog......after wiping down the outside I put the radio in front of a box fan for a couple of days, and the smell was completely gone......in the case of an amp i would turn it on and let it heat up and leave it in front of the fan...
Just my two cents.

drpepper

Post by drpepper »

If it a tube type, take the tubes out and wash the amp in a dishwasher.
wa3tfs

Post by wa3tfs »

I have found that clorox disinfecting wipes available at grocery stores will remove all the crud including that on the knobs and switches. Make sure the power is disconnected and the high voltage is bled off!