The Dumbest Offer

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
w8jn

The Dumbest Offer

Post by w8jn »

Is it just me? Ocassionally I sell something and the asking price is $100. The potential buyer says "will you take $85, CASH DEAL". What the heck. I was hoping you would send $100 worth of cookies, or maybe $100 worth of snow?????? Whats with this "I'll pay less and make it cash. I guess that those old pmo's just arent worth what they used to be?????? duhhhh "CASH DEAL"? Does a box arrive with greenbacks dangling out????
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Just make sure they aren't "DO IT YOURSELF" greenbacks!

Jerry

N9LCD

:lol:
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Just be facetious and say you don't take cash.
This person is no longer a member of chat.qth.com
w3nrl

i agree

Post by w3nrl »

i love when they say will you take a ft-000 in trade and an old antenna for parts !!!
i say no i will take the $100.00 in trade instead
thank you
:D
Best of 73
de w3nrl
nick
N-A7E

Re: The Dumbest Offer

Post by N-A7E »

w8jn wrote:Is it just me? Ocassionally I sell something and the asking price is $100. The potential buyer says "will you take $85, CASH DEAL". What the heck. I was hoping you would send $100 worth of cookies, or maybe $100 worth of snow?????? Whats with this "I'll pay less and make it cash. I guess that those old pmo's just arent worth what they used to be?????? duhhhh "CASH DEAL"? Does a box arrive with greenbacks dangling out????
You should be a little easy on him, we were all 13 years old once :lol:. Actually, if you were accepting paypal, it might be worth giving a $2 discount if he sent you a money order, as you would save on paypal's 4% fees (or whatever they may be atm)..

I see your point, but I would submit that you need to raise your price to $120 if receiving these kinds of offers bothers you. It's kind of a two way street, because I have seen outrageous prices wanted for junky non-collector stuff. Also, I have seen people wanting to barter a box of rocks for that new kenwood rig. So the internet brings out all types. I think this is where ebay shines, as things sell for close to what they are really worth, without having to wade through a large amount of manure.

I would be leery about receiving checks with all the check fraud going on, but I would consider it if they did not mind waiting 40 days for the check to clear, and it came in with the EXACT amount.

The reason why I mention this is because of two things. All these $1/$2 savings everywhere do add up. Barter works well when it's mutually beneficial, which is a whole topic in itself. Because it might be worth to get rid of something because it is taking up space and you can get something you can use or just to be neiighborly and help someone out. Just some thoughts on your frustrations.

As another thought, next time someone says $85 dollar cash deal, tell him that $100 *was* the cash deal, and you are going to need to tack on 4% to cover the paypal fees. 8)
k9yli

cash deal

Post by k9yli »

First off,, "cash deal" may well be a colloquial response from a given area of the US or a particular ethnic back ground.

If you get a lot of " yeah, youbetcha" in a conversation you can bet the person is likely from minnesota.
Just the persons way of conversing. (he was a stranger ,right?)
and offering some what less than the asking price would be normal haggling.
I would not want to pay 100 for something I might get for 85 ot 90 with some bargaining...
And 'cash deal' maybe a better thing than a check, where you may bet a questionable check and the buyer is getting a pig in a poke.

And the buyer is certainally not going to say " $130 cash deal as I think your asking way to little for that valuable device."
KC0UKR

Post by KC0UKR »

We all agreed that we would not charge any more when accepting PayPal when we signed on with PayPal.
To charge a Premium to use PayPal is breaking your agreement with them in fact.

I wish more people understood this before trying to recover the "Fee" when selling.

Just F.Y.I.