MFJ-259B question

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
KA4UPI

MFJ-259B question

Post by KA4UPI »

I would like some information form anyone that has used the MFJ-259 with the two coils that can be purchased with it as a grid dip function for finding the resonant lenght of a quad element or loop. I purchase the unit 5 years or so and only used it twice. I am rebuilding my quad and I can not get any kind of dip function to operate at all with it to check the resonant lengths of my directors or reflector to see how close my measurements were. First I need to know if this is even possible with the unit. I am assuming so since you can't find any grip dip ocillators any more for sale other than used. I have heard that there is a common failure of the detector diodes when exposed to any static or other voltages to the antenna connector on the unit but the only two times I used it was to check the SWR on a couple of 2 meter mobile antennas and a two element quad. Any inputs or advice on this unit would be appreciated so I can determine if it is the unit or the operator or both. Thanks.
w5otp

MFJ antenna analyzer

Post by w5otp »

Well it is possible to put a 2 turn coil in series with the quad loop and this will do it but why not just attach the MFJ 259 to the loop which has been split and a piece of coax attached? Comments? email nrgaines88@q.com.