Yaesu FT 50 R lousy FM broadcast audio

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
WD9ARW

Yaesu FT 50 R lousy FM broadcast audio

Post by WD9ARW »

Let's face it the FM Broadcast receiver in the ft 50 R sucks.
How could Yaesu do this after bringing out the the vx 1R with it's great FM audio?
Any body know of a mod to fix this on the FT 50?

Thanks,
Rich
W0LPQ

FM

Post by W0LPQ »

Not familiar with either of the radios listed, however, most of the receivers out are Narrowband...not Wideband thus the immediate problem. Commercial FM is +/- 75Khz, while our UHF/VHF's are typically +/- 5khz.

Cures...no idea. Maybe the manufacturers could either make an auto switch or manual NB/WB switch it would certainly help.

Bill, W0LPQ
KB9RYI

ft50rd FM

Post by KB9RYI »

Hello there all, I have a Yaesu ft50rd, and yes the FM broadcast RX is VERY poor, have to be right next door to the FM station and then its not good audio.
I have not found any fix for that yet. Other than that I like the ft50rd very much.
73 for now, John KB9RYI
News4You

Post by News4You »

All Yaesu's are junk.

Buy an Icom!

73's
wr0t

Buy an Icom, Yaesu's are Junk

Post by wr0t »

Yep, I have to agree. I have had several of the small Yaesu receivers and everyone of them was Junk. I now have several Icom receivers and they are great.

Pay a buck or two and go Icom it is well worth it...

8) :lol:
Proud to Fly the Flag Long Before Was Popular
N5NPO

FT-50R

Post by N5NPO »

Ok, the FT-50R is not perfect. It does not rx FM broadcast worth a hoot. The encder for tuning or selecting functions gets flakey, besides that, it is a great little rig. I work on two way radios for a living and it is built as good as any of them out there and better than many....
As far as ICOM goes.... I Can Only Monitor :P
AB8RU

VX 1

Post by AB8RU »

That was when everyone went on the worlds smallest radio craze even output went way down around .5 W.

I think if that HT is that dinky job, forget it

Tip : Anyone planning on buying a Hi Priced stereo may want to hold off buying stuff, what I know in the Broadcast Industry right now may be a useless Radio unless you want a cassette player or a CD player , and if anyone is into those FM Cell Phone holders that rebroadcast the Ear peice is about all its worth.

Its called I.B.O.C. :arrow: In Band On Channel Broadcast stuff is moving to Digital & the RCVRS are $1,000.00 right now.

thats why I am not buying new just recycling old.

next 5 years maybe.
Mark A. Holman AB8RU, CRO
Assoc. Member SBE
W0LPQ

Rotten FM

Post by W0LPQ »

OK, I've never owned a Brand Y radio. However, the manual says it is "normal" and narrowband. Who knows what "normal" is, but I bet it is not sufficient for normal broadcast audio. That would be why they sound lousy. They cannot handle the wideband deviation....such is the design. If you demand good broadcast audio, then look for a radio that will handle it.

Bill, W0LPQ