Dumping illegal 10 Meter amps on QTH?

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
N8QBY

Dumping illegal 10 Meter amps on QTH?

Post by N8QBY »

Scanning the, " for sale", ads today, we have, "10 meter amps" up for sale. There isn't a legal 10M only amp. Never has been. Do these belong? You be the judge: Here is how they are advertised:

"Also have 3 10-meter mobile amplifiers. Starfire 400- Communicator 800- Starfire 1200. All amps have 3 stages and preamps. The 1200 has 3 built-in fans. All were working a couple years away when took out of service but are untested now and being sold as such. Prices are 400-$150.00, 800-$250.00, 1200-$400.00. All prices are shipped and insured. These are 10-meter amps that were being used in conjunction with a complete 10-meter dxpedition station". It looks as though the last sentence is trying to justify the amps.

As far as I know, these are NOT legal amps, and belong on E-bay, where over 50% of the amps sold there are illegal.

No, this is not earth-shaking news, and doesn't really effect me in any way but do they belong on here? It cheapens a great site. Just my opinion.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

All gone

:roll:
This person is no longer a member of chat.qth.com
K4ICL

Huh?

Post by K4ICL »

Someone needs to pull the FCC rules and learn a bit more about HF amps.
There isn't a legal 10M only amp.
Of course there is. I have built several back in the "old days" and can build another today if I want.

Go and read the rules. I mean really read them. There is a whole section dedicated to HF amps. A ham can sell another ham any HF amp they want to sell, home brew, modified factory, restored boat anchor, etc.

But don't take my word for it read it for yourself!

K4ICL
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

I know the rules, etc. I thought the ad was obvious that I was talking about chopshop/truckstop type amps. The Dave Mades, Palomars, etc. Everyone knows the kind I am talking about. There haven't been any of these 10/11 amps that that can pass the input to output guidelines set forth by the FCC.
Again, don't read into it any more than was intended. I am not trying to get into a pi**ing match here. Was just wondering why some of this stuff makes it on here. I realize that it takes a while for moderators to find such items, especially when the amps were not advertised in the main ad title.