TS 520s and Advice

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
KE4AJG

TS 520s and Advice

Post by KE4AJG »

I've been inactive for 5 or so years and just found this site. really looks great, wish I'd found it a long time ago !!
Now here goes.....I still have my old TS 520 and it seems to work fine (had to clean some of the controls, but works ok , recieve at l;east) Here is the most stupid question, especally from an Old Time Ham....When I'm tuning do I dip the load, or peak it?....Boy I'm embarrassed!!!!! I remember to dip the plate and max the grid...but load has slipped my weak mind.
Also I'm trying to talk my wife out of the money for a MFJ 993B antenna tuner. Is that a good one for the money? What about the G5 antenna?
I really feel stupid, Sorry.
thanks KE4AJG Callbook address correct

Jim Walker
n1tko

TS520.....

Post by n1tko »

Hello Jim - You may be able to find a 520 manual on line doing a google search and "re-learn" the tune up procedure. As far as being embarrassed.... Don't be! I was off the air for 8 years and getting back into the mix was almost scary.
I found myself searching the Internet for the simplest things. As far as the tuner.... I can't help you out there. I'm still trying to figure out which tuner would be the best for my set-up as well...hi hi
It's all like riding a bike....... except you have to give it a couple of months and it will all come back to you.
N1TKO

:lol:
KE4AJG

N1TKO

Post by KE4AJG »

Thanks a lot for the info....I went to the net like you suggested and found the operating manual and service manual..Also downloaded CQ100 which will fill my needs for a couple of weeks then Im going to try that MFJ tuner so Ill be on my way again...Thanks again for the INFO

73's

KE$AJG
KE3WD

Post by KE3WD »

The old mnemonic may serve to store the info in the brain forever:

DIP - Dip In Put

Which means all that's left is Peak Out Put (Load).

:D
KE4AJG

Thanks for the help

Post by KE4AJG »

Dip Input (DIP) good idea...thanks

KE$AJG
ab6gq

Post by ab6gq »

If you have a wattmeter or scope, you can just peak the Rf out, on all controls. Dipping the plate will also peak Rf out.