Shipping charges??

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
N8QBY

Shipping charges??

Post by N8QBY »

I am just curious as to what others have run into as far as what other hams charge for shipping? I am finding more and more people trying to make money on the shipping charges. And what is with the handling charge? I am not talking about professionals, just plain hams selling their ham items. When I sell something, I charge only the actual shipping, plus the cost of a box if I have to buy one. I don't mind paying a little extra for shipping, maybe to help with the cost of bubblewrap but shipping should not be about making money. Example, charging $2 for an item sent via envelope, and sent for $.39. Another one I see a lot of is, charging shipping and handling, only to receive a beat up box with not enough wadded up newspaper. I have seen people charge twice for shipping for what I have personally sent out the same type of equipment, and for half the price.
If I am being to picky here, just let me know. We all have our own quirks I guess.
[/b]
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Whenever I see shipping double what it should be, I usually find they are trying to send USPS Priority flat rate box.
This person is no longer a member of chat.qth.com
k9yli

shipping

Post by k9yli »

I have been shipping a lot of estate radio stuff.
I charge just what the cost was. postage or DHL ,UPS etc.
I did have one thing I needed to buy a box a t UPS to ship so I split the cost of the box.
I also round up or down a dollar and change to nearest $5.
Any thin that was ,say, $11.49 I would ship for $10 ands eat the rest.
I don't charge the Widow for that difference either.
Some I just took wild guess and told buyer $10 shiping.
Once it was about $16.
win some loose some some are rained out..
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

If I do estimate the cost of shipping, I give them a price... if it is less than quoted, I send the difference back. If it is more, I cover that cost. Also, when I ship a package, I don't skimp on the tape, or packaging material. I have found that using shredded paper is perfect for shipping. It fills in all that gaps. It is a bit heavier but well worth the extra effort. Just food for thought....