Ground Radials for a SHAKESPEARE NBS-2010 ???

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
KG4KDH

Ground Radials for a SHAKESPEARE NBS-2010 ???

Post by KG4KDH »

I just ordered a new SHAKESPEARE NBS-2010 vertical antenna. The ads for this antenna say it's 5/8 wave and has good low angle radiation. Since they do not offer a radial kit of sorts for this antenna and I'm always a little skeptical about what manufacturers claim about their products, I was wondering if adding some radials of my own would further improve performance ? I've never done this kind of thing before and I was wondering if someone might give me some pointers or point me to the right kind of information on the subject of adding radials.

Thank you,
John
Kg4KdH
Kg4KdH@comcast.net
W0LPQ

Antenna

Post by W0LPQ »

If it is a 5/8 Wave vertical, then yes. Radials do make a difference. As in Impedance..! For a 1/4 wave antenna, slope them down about 45 degrees. For a 5/8, usually they work best at a right angle (90 degrees) to the vertical. In other words, straight out. Usually 1/4 long radials. Cut them long and trim.

Bill, WØLPQ