frequency counter (calibrator)

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
aws73

frequency counter (calibrator)

Post by aws73 »

i have a tempo 2020 that i believe has been tinkered with. the crystals have the writing rubbed off and i want to verify the frequencies. i need to know of a cheap efficent way of putting low wattage out of Tempo and check to make sure the 40 meter or 80 meter really is installed. i quess i need a cheap frequency counter (calibrator) any body got any ideas. thanks andrew stoots harlan ky aws73@yahoo.com
i have a room full of ham radios and scanners, wide band recievers and one pc set aside for radios. the pc is always recieving , logging and decoding some type of signal dealing with radio. i love to listen on 80 meters especially on a old tube rig.
N9LCD

Frequency Counter (Calibrator)

Post by N9LCD »

Do you have or can you find the manual for your rig? It should tell you how to aline the oscillator and driver stages without running the finals.

1 Set-up your rig following manufacturer procedures.

2 Get a receiver that covers 80 & 40 meters,

3 Wrap an insulated wire around the oscillator tube -- about three or four turns.
Connect the other end of the wire to the receiver's antenna jack.

4 Set the receiver for CW with the BFO on and tune until you pick-up the
signal from your oscillator.

It may not be exact to the 0.01 KHz, but you should be able to determine the xtal frequencies to within a KHz or two.

Jerry

N9LCD