How can we survive without code requirement?

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
N8PQB

How can we survive without code requirement?

Post by N8PQB »

:lol:
I have been expecting many of the comments written here with regard to the dropping of the code requirement. The 1% hasn’t disappointed me.
Flashback…..1991 when the “no code tech” license become available, again the 1% expressed their opinions. This is America, and one of our freedoms is sharing our opinion even when it isn’t asked for. I would like to share my story with the 1%. As a Vietnam Aviator I learned the code, never had cause to use it, but I knew it. After returning to the USA in 1965, a privilege some didn’t have, I stated a family. Many of you can remember, money was not plentiful then, I had all I could do to raise my family. Then I found out one thing I left in Vietnam was my hearing. Before long I couldn’t hardly understand someone standing in front of me.
Fast forward to 1991.….. Family is raised, money is better, college degree in Electronic Engineering, this is the good life! Then the FCC created the “No Code Tech” license. Finally I would be able to join the ham radio ranks. Yes, I like many others started two way radio talk on 11 meters. Giving up the 11 meters I moved onto 2 meters like many of my friends during that initial first wave of new hams that would be the downfall of amateur radio, according to the 1%.
But it didn’t happen as the 1% said it would, and amateur radio took another giant step forward. I couldn’t advance through the ranks because I couldn’t hear the frequency tones used for code. But that was ok, all I lost in the war was my hearing, many others lost much more. I survived the 1% chants and the put downs, but I was the best 2 meter guy around. I knew electronics, and could build most anything, and I was very proud to be able to say I was an amateur.
Now fast forward to 2007.…. And the FCC has eliminated the code requirement once and for all, and again we have a “No Code” amateur license step. I congratulate all those that are planning on moving up the ranks of amateur licenses, GO FOR IT.!! I now have a retirement home in front of me that doesn’t allow antennas, so I have no need to advance any further.
I address this to the 1% and make a promise to you….Amateur Radio Will Survive This Change As It Has All The Others.
Yes there will be a small percentage of new amateurs that will have come from the 11 meter band, and yes a 1% of them will be a bit rough around the edges. But with your help and patience to guide them they will become the kind of amateur you will be proud to say, “I was their Elmer”.
So in closing I say this, until you know their story, don’t be so hard on them. An old Indian saying was, “don’t judge another man until you have walked in his shoes”, I think that was good advice then, and will apply to this change as well. This is a golden opportunity for many amateurs to demonstrate their skills and knowledge to bring these new operators into this proud hobby and give them a solid footing to stand on.

A Proud No Code Tech,
Tom, N8PQB
ka8wbr

Post by ka8wbr »

Hey, just because your " station restricted" at your home qth, dosen't mean you shouldn't advance your operating priviledges too. After all, there's always mobile radio, and besides, hams are always known for "hiding antennas in the darndest places out of sight. I'm sure you have other friends with stations who'll let you operate also. So, don't let that be a detractor for you yourself to upgrade too! Like you said, "go for it" !!!! And yes, Amateur Radio "will survive! " '73!
N9LCD

How can we survive without the code?

Post by N9LCD »

The same way we did with the code!!!
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

There will always be the, "old timers", that will never give the newbie a break. If you didn' t pass all the tests that they had to, well...... you know all of the arguments. I use cw but I don' t look down my nose at people just because they don' t , or can't get the code. It is easy, now that the rule is in place. You can make it a positive change, by reaching out and helping the new hams with proper procedure, or you can sit back with your ego, and bitch and complain.
I for one get tired of all the code vs no-code, new vs old, ham vs cb...etc. Remember, IT IS ONLY A HOBBY. It is not life itself. Life will still go on no matter what changes are made. So you old, saggy diapered, no life other than ham radio, frumpy, nothing to do but bitch about the changes......get out and try a new hobby. Well, the fish are biting....this hobby goes on the shelf, as there are other things to do of equal or more importance than ham radio. Life is good....The glass can be half full, your choice. :o)
K4ICL

Perhaps more...

Post by K4ICL »

Remember, IT IS ONLY A HOBBY.
Perhaps but for some of us it it a way of life that has had a profound impact on how we spend our time and resources. As we grow older, it becomes even more important. Some retired hams pick up the hobby were we left off when time was focused on careers and family. Others of us continue the hobby with a new vigor, now released from other obligations. It is impossible to have been a ham for almost fifty years and agree it is only a hobby.

K4ICL
K2HAT

Post by K2HAT »

I hope you will all be patient with me,
when I get my Call Sign. :)

I just know I am going to ask some of you, to Please, say your Call Sign;
Slower.

:oops:

I have tinnitus, and was never able to learn Morse Code.

I started to try at age 11-12, while in the Boy Scouts;
that was in 1970.

I took Element 2, 3, and 4 tests last week, and passed 2 and 3
for my Tech and General Class license. {I failed the Extra class test :(}

I took Element 4 again today, and Passed that, for my Extra ticket. :idea:

I think I will make a good Ham,
sorry in advance for my mistakes.

Any Elmers in Rensselaer, NY?

I have an FT 101E, that needs a more experienced hand,
I don't dare try to align it by myself the first time.

I hope my Call Sign will come up soon, on the FCC website.

Prob 2 more weeks, as I threw them a monkey wrench by upgrading,
before I even have a call sign. :shock:

Lee Hatfield Jr

Near Albany, NY USA
K2HAT effective April 27, 2007
KC2RDG former call sign.

I live near Albany, NY USA :)
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Lee:

Welcome to the club!

I've made at least 8 attempts to learn the code -- the first was in '65 in high school

On my last attempt about 8 - 10 years ago, I could recognize characters at over 30 WPM (equivalent). But I still can't put two characters together.

YOU DON'T NEED CODE TO BE A GOOD HAM! ALL YOU NEED IS SOME SMARTS AND CONSIDERATION FOR THE OTHER GUYS OUT THERE!

BE SURE YOUR BRAIN IS ENGAGED BEFORE YOU PUT YOUR MOUTH IN GEAR! ( Old CB bumper sticker, circa 1975)