CW Operation of IC 718

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
johnnpierce

CW Operation of IC 718

Post by johnnpierce »

When I am on 40cw with an S8 noise level and a signal greater than s9 is received, why does the audio have a pumping sound caused by the cw signal. I was using an IC706 for a while and do not remember that problem. When i am on 20mtrs and the noise level is very low, everything sounds the way I expected it to sound.

John
kc0uws

Post by kc0uws »

I think it's a common thing with the 718. I also have one and noticed the EXACT same type of problem on 40m CW.

73 de KC0UWS
johnnpierce

Post by johnnpierce »

That is not to encouraging. I think I will ask the same question of ICOM support and see what they have to say.
kc0uws

Post by kc0uws »

Thats a GREAT idea! If they have a fix, be sure to post it!
johnnpierce

Why IC 718 pumps on CW

Post by johnnpierce »

I have found out what the issue is, although not from ICOM. I suspected it and it happens to be a very fast ACG circuit. On the ICOM 706 series, there is an AGC option. When you choose F-AGC the 706 has the same action. So it appears that the IC-718 does not offers an AGC speed option. That's a bummer.

I am checking out Radio Mods to see if there is a fix to the ACG speed. However, its pretty hard to re-engineer the current Surface Mount constuction of any rig.
johnnpierce

Post by johnnpierce »

For the AGC issue, I just found and downloaded a modification which should help. I have not tried it yet but probably will between Christmas and New Years.

John, AD2F