FT-2000 Audio

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
N4ATS

FT-2000 Audio

Post by N4ATS »

Talked to Bob Heil yesterday. I could not seem to get that ESSB Wideband sound enabled in my FT-2000 no matter what settings and adjustments I made. Come to find out with the help of Bob and K3UR , the problem is NOT in the radio but where you connect the Microphone input. I am using a HEIL GM-5 in WIDE.

All the time I was using the front microphone connector when I should have been using the REAR microphone connector (RCA). The problem is, only the REAR connector will enable a full 50 Hz to 3.5Khz pass of the audio. This is done by selecting “dAtA” input from MENU 82 (It also states in the manual that the pin for AUDIO INPUT is the PACKET JACK pin 1) This is true however it also enables the MIC INPUT (connector 15) on the rear panel and this is where you want to connect your microphone.

Use the PTT on the rear as well to key the radio (TX)

Set MENU 123 to “100HZ”

After you do the above , WHAM , The audio comes alive , the audio is totally awesome in every way. I t is really hard for me to so call “beat” the audio on my TS-870 , however with the help of Bob and K3UR , it has been passed. It has a full rich sound and nothing but compliments on it.

Hope this helps everyone who is in the same boat as I was!
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Already had about 20 emails about wiring on the HEIL. I used a Heil CC-1-Y8 cable that connects to my GM-5.

Color Code:

1) Red and Blue goes to PTT RCA Jack on the rear (blue to GND side of RCA)
2) Shield and Black to GND side of AUDIO RCA , White is AUDIO to (center) of RCA (use Mic In RCA on the rear of the FT-2000)

I used gold plated RCA connectors I bought from Radio Shack. I also used heat shrink to make it look good.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
KE2SL

Post by KE2SL »

Hi,

You mention setting menu 123 to 100 Hz. This is for the EQ1 setting (EQ without processor on). What bandwidth and attenuation/gain? Any other EQ settings?

Have you tried the processor on the radio? Also does your compression meter work?

Thanks,
Dave
KE2SL
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

I am set to 3KHZ Bandwidth , (full) , (Menu 83 to 3000) however I have not touched any other menu settings other than the referenced ones above.

I do not use the processor , so I do not know if mine works.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
KE2SL

Post by KE2SL »

Can you check to see if the compression meter works? Set meter to compression, turn in processor, and adjust compression level. Mine does not work. I want to see if this is a systemic problem before sending my radio back to Yaesu.

I'm going to try rewiring my Heil PR780 to the rear connectors today to see if there is a difference in audio.

Thanks
Dave
KE2SL
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Yes , I will check when I get off work , PLEASE do report if your rig sounds better with the input in the back!
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

My processor works but the processor meter does NOT work , you are correct. However I discovered last night my Noise Blanker does not work either.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com