Yeasu FT-897

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
tomsrig

Yeasu FT-897

Post by tomsrig »

Does anyone have the FT-897? I just bought one and have used it for about a week now. It's too early to talk about all the features, but my initial impression is very good about this rig.

I'd be interested in hearing from others who've used it much longer. Give your impressions: what's good, what's not so good, etc.

Tom - AB5ZJ
KC8OAZ

FT-897

Post by KC8OAZ »

I am considering purchasing a FT-897 and would appreciate all the information I can get on the quality of the rig. To be used primarily as a Base unit for phone and CW and possably Didigatal use down the road. Also, VHF / UHF use.
My other choice is an ICom IC-706MKIIG
Please keep me informed.
Thanks 73's
John KC8OAZ
tomsrig

FT-897 quality

Post by tomsrig »

John,
The Yeasu FT-897 is built like a tank. It is built on a Dye cast aluminum platform and is as solid as a rock. It is about 5.5lbs not including the batteries.

I use it for a base station and will also take it with me on trips. IT is my all around rig. There are two antenna connectors on back, one for the HF bands, the other for VHF/UHF 2m and 70cm bands.

I have not tried it with the digital modes yet. However, it should be no problem, as it has a data port on back, and you can select such data to transmit as PSK-31 right on the display menu.

Audio quality is very good on my rig, as is audio when I transmit. Some have said audio on transmit distorts below 50w but I believe that has been fixed on the newer units like mine. I just got it a few weeks ago, and the fact that there are two antenna connectors on back indicates it is newer. I think the older versions do not have two antenna ports on back, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I can tell you that the receiver is very very sensitive and I'm quite pleasantly surprised. Also the DSP functions really work nice.

I do not think you will be dissapointed if you get this rig.

Tom - AB5ZJ