6 METERS vs CHANNEL 2

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
N9LCD

6 METERS vs CHANNEL 2

Post by N9LCD »

I'm thinking of venturing onto 6 meters.

How bad can an over-the-air Channel 2 be? Do you run into problems with adjacent-channel interference, intermod and all other kinds of crud?

Has anybody had any experience using a PRC-25 or -77 inear an over-the-air Channel 2?

Thanks!

JERRY

N9LCD
WA9WVX

6 Meter TVI-RFI

Post by WA9WVX »

Depending on where you are located in reference to the TV Channel 2 transmitter, how much RF Power Output your Transceiver produces, if you have a Low Pass Filter on your transmitter, which mode of operation CW / SSB / AM / FM, what frequency you're operating, low - mid - high end 50~54 MHz, what Polarization / Gain / Height of the Antenna Above Ground and what type of TV Antennas, a High Pass Filter on the TVs receiver, transmission feed lines: 300 Ohm Twin Lead and/ or 75 Ohm Coaxial Cable, how well it's been installed and maintained that your neighbors are using for viewing "Off-of-the-Air" signals all will determine how much TVI-RFI your Transceiver will cause.

You've got understand that even the newest TV Tuners are very broad, wider than the normal 6 MHz required to detect the TV stations Analog Audio and Video signaling. It's nothing to sweep a TV receiver Channel Band Pass and discover that they are 10 MHz wide!

Many hams operate from their moblies to attempt keeping peace with neighbors but not always. I operated from my vehicle for several years and then set up a home station on the east side of Elgin, IL using a Yaesu FT101EE, FTV650 Transverter 50 Watts, a Henry 6N2 KW and a 5 El Yagi at 50 Feet. My XYL worked all 50 States on that set up ... I Worked ALL Neighbors! And 99.9% hated us! :evil: I made absolutely sure I had an unlisted and unpublisted telephone numbers to avoid neighbors calling us at all times of the day and night. If they wanted to complain, they had to come to our house to discuss the interference problems. The main problem with 6 Meters is the manufactures are not held to any receiver standards and with our Federal Government in Washington, DC, the politicians, they don't want to upset the manufactures of consumer products. Let the ham community fend for themselves!

Six meters is a great band otherwise, my XYL and myself enjoyed operating that band and experiencing Tropo, Auroras, Meteor Scatter, working DX outside the Americas, chasing Grid Squares, rag chewing with locals, working VHF contests and experimenting with antennas. It was a fun time except for dealing with TVI-RFI complaints.

73, Dan