Radio, amplifier, tuner hook up problems.

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
N0EXU

Radio, amplifier, tuner hook up problems.

Post by N0EXU »

I have a curious problem. Kenwood TS-440, AL-80B, J'w Miller AT2500. When I hook antenna up to radio alone works FB, put tuner in line and tune up works FB, insert AL-80B in line with TS-440 works great too. But when I go from radio to tuner to amp when I go to screw on the PL259 I lose rf signal. If only the center conductor is connected great signal. But when the outer shield makes contact it like a dead short across the coax. I've checked relays in the tuner and amp, new coax jumpers, unhooking ground cables, you name it I think I've tried it. Remember when only two of the pieces are in line both work fine. Third one in seems to short something out. Any ideas? Thanks, Steve
KE3GK

What's happening ...

Post by KE3GK »

Steve ...

I've noticed that a few people have read your problem, but none have answered (yet).

Just a thought ... using your callsign in posting things like this may get more of a response.

Hams (and I would think that you are one), have funny ideas and thoughts about helping a non-ham hookup stations such as this.

Tom KE3GK
K4ICL

Is tuner tuned or not?

Post by K4ICL »

If the tuner is detuned, it will not receive properly and may not receive at all. Does the problem go away wnen the tuner is properly tuned to the freq?

AL
Cheers,

AL
K4ICL
KM5FL

Post by KM5FL »

when I go from radio to tuner to amp when I go to screw on the PL259 I lose rf signal.

I'm assuming you mean the order of "connection" in the coax string.. Shouldn't that be -- Radio to amp to tuner to antenna????? With the tuner between the radio and amp, the tuner is trying to "tune" the amp, not the antenna...

KM5FL