Quad antennas

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
WB9IXS

Quad antennas

Post by WB9IXS »

Hello,
It has been 15 years plus since I had my last quad antennas up and I want to build another. This time I want to put on 30-17-12 and maybe 15meters on it. I have a Mosley classic 33 for 10-15-20. Has anyone had any recent experience with building quads? I would like to brainstorm some ideas regarding matching and tuning. The last time I built one I used a balun and a single feedline. This worked great but I haven't seen anything like that for the bands I want.
TNX...73
WB9IXS
KA4UPI

Quad Antennas

Post by KA4UPI »

I am also planning on putting up a couple of new HF Quad antennas this summer and fall. I have completed quite a bit of research so far and have come up with some plans that I think will work for me. I will be glad to exchange ideas and send some pix and documents of what I have so far. I have tried to settle on a design that I consider will give me the highest gain, smallest footprint, and best mechanical solution. I am rather detail oriented and probably spend more time on design and getting prepared than actually implementing. I have changed my plans several times but I think I have come up with some interesting construction ideas that I will be glad to share.
73's KA4UPI
w5otp

Quads

Post by w5otp »

One book "All about cubical Quad antennas (3rd 3dition) will answer most questions. Authors Willian I Orr,W6SAI (deceased) and Stuart D. Cowan, W2LX.
I suspect that the optimum way to feed quads is a gamma match for each band and a remote antenna switch. Any questions Ralph. W5otp.