New to Ham Radio.........all over again !

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
Pizwiz

New to Ham Radio.........all over again !

Post by Pizwiz »

Just to say hello.
I am returning to the Hobby after a more than 30 year absence.
I hope to get my General ticket in short order. I see that a lot of the requirements have changed and I am learning......
I basically plan on re-creating my old shack from 30+ years ago ( My god, this guy is a masochist :D ) with all Heathkit equipment.
I've got a start with a nice HR-1680 Receiver, now looking for a Tramsmitter etc.
Now, back to practicing the code..........
Anyway, I'll probably have lots of dumb questions, so bear with me.

Adolph
The most UNcommon thing in the world is common sense. !
N4URW

Hi there new ham "Again"

Post by N4URW »

Hey, there are NO dumb questions in Ham Radio. Sometime the dumb question is the one you should of asked. Anyway, I just got back into Ham Radio after being out of it for about 10 years. I was amazed that the license class had changed. Now you can't get your advanced class. I guess now you go right from General to Extra. Course I already have my advanced class so I guess I am a dying breed. Anyway, good luck in your building you ham station back up.

Joel / N4URW
Joel McDonald, MSgt, USAF Retired
N4URW, Palm Bay FL
Pizwiz

Post by Pizwiz »

Thank You Joel.
............and they don't make you send code anymore. My old examiner made me send before he would let me pass.
Too bad they don't give credit for old commercial Fcc Licenses. The exams for the old 2nd class FCC licenses were a lot tougher than the written exams for the General class.
But I am having fun learning code all over again.
Surprisingly, I find that a lot of the old stuff is coming back to me the more I get into it.
But it is a lot of fun getting re-acquainted with the Hobby.
It all started when I volunteered to set up an old fashion SW listening station at the local Field day coming up in June. That led to setting up a listening station on the Ham bands etc. It wasn't long before one of the Hams suggested I could pull a shift at the field day under a controlling operator.
........And the rest as they say, is history. :D

Adolph
The most UNcommon thing in the world is common sense. !
KD1UJ

Re: Hi there new ham "Again"

Post by KD1UJ »

I am withdrawing this post. QTH.com has a policy of allowing hate speech. As a matter of principle, I cannot support this site by allowing my contributions to be used here.
Last edited by KD1UJ on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KE3GK

Post by KE3GK »

Welcome back into hamming - all of you ... and yep, I like my 2x2 too ...
Last edited by KE3GK on Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
N4URW

VHF Rig

Post by N4URW »

Does anyone know where I can get a Icom or Kenwood VHF for the home. I am looking at putting up a 2 meter base antenna. If you guys know of anyone who has a decent VHF base rig for sale, tell them to email me at N4URW@earthlink.net.

Joel / N4URW
Joel McDonald, MSgt, USAF Retired
N4URW, Palm Bay FL