Icom 735 transceiver

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
matt

Icom 735 transceiver

Post by matt »

I am looking for a MAIN TUNNING OPTICAL ENCODER for the IC-735, can any one give me a hand where I could get this item? I really appreciate any information.
EA6BG Mateo[/i][/b]
WA9WVX

IC-735 Optical Tuning Encoder

Post by WA9WVX »

Hello Matt,

I'm a bit curious why you may need the ICOMs IC-735 Optical Tuning Encoder? Although I do not own a IC-735, I do own a IC-251A 2 meter and a IC551D 6 meter units which both have Optical Tuning Encoders. I went back to my ICOM IC-551D Service Shop Manual and did some reading on the Tuning circuit. The key components are a pair of infrared diodes D1 & D2 and a pair of photo transistors Q1 & Q2 which perform the Up / Down VFO functions and the Clock CK Pulse 90 degrees out of phase which feeds IC1, IC2, IC3 & IC4 and the into the microprocessor IC.

Of course the diodes and transistors feed and receive the infrared light with the use of an Encoder Disc to produce the pulses and waveforms through the integrated circuits. The infrared diodes D1 & D2 areTLR121 and the photo transistors Q1 & Q2 are TPS606. Apparently the ICOM engineering team must have felt that none of their mechanical parts would ever fail because they do not provide any parts lists for these components!

If your Encoder Disc is damaged or broken .... I suppose you would need to contact ICOM Spain: icom@lleida.com or a local authorized ICOM Amateur Radio Dealer / Repair Center.

For the semiconductors, try the NTE On-Line Cross Reference web page:

http://www.nteinc.com/

Dan