I need some help repairing a 1st gen ft-101

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
steve kc7byp

I need some help repairing a 1st gen ft-101

Post by steve kc7byp »

1 Were on the radio's meter is 60 ma for the transmit ideal bios current spouse to be? There is no 60 ma mark on the meter.

I also have a Swan 350 that works great on all bands that I am using for
testing.

2 The rig is transmitting and reviving very good on 80 and 40 meters. The Receiver works good on 20, 15 and 10 meters but very low watt's out, barely moves
the watt meter. But I can hear the driver tube in the swan radio. To get the ft-101 this far I had to use 2 cans of contact cleaner on the band switch. The radio was sitting in a very dusty environment for a long time. I also had to repair the transmit bios (a few burned out parts) and replace the final tubes because one of the final tubes had a control grid short and the other one tested bad.
I don't know why 20,15 and 10 meters has low power out. Does anyone have the answer for me?
WA9WVX

Low P.O. on 10, 15 & 20 MTRS

Post by WA9WVX »

Hello Steve,

I would suggest checking on the following web page: http://www.foxtango.org regarding your older YAESU FT-101. Carol W4CLM is sharp individual on the older YAESU products and problems. You might also have a defective 12BY7A Driver tube even though you can hear the signal on your SWAN transceiver. It appears as if the mysterious "someone" abused the FT-101 transceiver. The early FT-101 series transceivers used sweep tubes in the finals and couldn't handle high VSWR or high power AM transmit without damage to the final stage ... tubes and bias components. This is why the YAESU engineering team switched to using ruggidized 6146B RF tube finals in the later models..

Dan